BlueBrain Project; Moonbear, anyone?

• Medical
  • Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: They are modelling the rat brain on the BlueGene Supercomputer. They hope to eventually build an accurate, computer-based model of the entire brain.
neurocomp2003
Anyone(moonbear) hear about this project...or what its about or links to websites.According to a guest lecturer they are attempting to only model the rat brain...and they'll be modelling it on the BlueGene Supercomputer...

I want to find out more, anyone have anylinks?

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is the http://bluebrainproject.epfl.ch/index.html"for the project, it's still under construction in some areas.
It's basically a joint venture between IBM and The Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne to model the brain via computer. Here's part of a http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/pr.nsf/pages/news.20050606_CognitiveIntelligence.html":
Over the next two years scientists from both organizations will work together using the huge computational capacity of IBM’s eServer Blue Gene supercomputer to create a detailed model of the circuitry in the neocortex – the largest and most complex part of the human brain. By expanding the project to model other areas of the brain, scientists hope to eventually build an accurate, computer-based model of the entire brain.
Sounds pretty cool, and right up your alley, neurocomp.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an old thread on it around here somewhere. It was back before this forum was formed, so it might still be lurking in the cellar of biology.

I think the rat brain is the only place they can really start for a project like that, because that's the species we have the most data about.

thank you for the link DocToxyn...
I"ll have to go search for that thread in teh forums too.

I wonder if they'll take child development ages into considerations
or just jump straight itno the adult rats brain.

that'll be my ambitious goal for the next 4 years to try to get on that project some how
hehe

Last edited:
My guess is they'll start with the adult. That's complicated enough. As they build the database, it would be nice to see them add developmental changes as well as information about homology across species, but I don't really know what they have planned.

I'm not sure how much was discussed before on the topic...so if you can't find it, don't spend a lot of time digging for it. I just recall the topic being mentioned before, not how far the discussion got. :redface:

neurocomp2003 said:
thank you for the link DocToxyn...
I"ll have to go search for that thread in teh forums too.

I wonder if they'll take child development ages into considerations
or just jump straight itno the adult rats brain.

that'll be my ambitious goal for the next 4 years to try to get on that project some how
hehe

Good for you Neurocomp. I contacted someone in charge of the project some time ago (Henry Markram). Initially the focus will be coding the Hodgkin-Huxley equation to model the neocortical columns of the cortex. Later, the models will be allowed to acquire history as do real neurons. Integro-differential equations, in my view, are ideally suited for this task. My suggestion to you if you wish to pursue this is to become very proficient in differential equations and programming. Perhaps one avenue to gain access through the door is to embrace such a mathematical model of the brain and then contact Mr. Markram regarding your interest in such. Good luck.:smile:

Edit: Thank goodness for the edit button! (nobody saw that did you).

Last edited:

1. What is the BlueBrain Project?

The BlueBrain Project is a research initiative started by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL) in 2005. It aims to create a highly detailed computer model of the human brain, known as the "Blue Brain." This project is considered one of the most ambitious neuroscience projects in the world.

2. How does the BlueBrain Project work?

The BlueBrain Project works by collecting and analyzing data from different sources, such as brain scans and cellular data. This data is then used to create computer models of individual brain cells, which are then connected to form a virtual brain. The project also uses advanced algorithms and supercomputers to simulate brain activity and behavior.

3. What are the goals of the BlueBrain Project?

The main goal of the BlueBrain Project is to gain a better understanding of the human brain and its functions. This includes studying diseases and disorders, as well as developing new treatments and technologies for brain-related conditions. Additionally, the project also aims to advance the field of artificial intelligence by using the Blue Brain as a model for creating intelligent machines.

4. What is "Moonbear" in relation to the BlueBrain Project?

"Moonbear" is a term used to refer to the virtual brain created by the BlueBrain Project. This brain model is based on the brain of a moon bear, a species of bear found in Asia. The moon bear's brain was chosen because it is similar in size and complexity to the human brain, making it a good model for the project.

5. What are the potential implications of the BlueBrain Project?

The BlueBrain Project has the potential to revolutionize neuroscience and our understanding of the human brain. It could lead to new treatments and cures for brain-related diseases and disorders, as well as advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics. However, there are also ethical concerns surrounding the project, such as the potential for creating consciousness in the virtual brain and the implications of such a creation.