Calculate Boat's Velocity After Package Thrown - Boat Linear Momentum Problem

In summary: Thanks!The child threw the 6.40kg package with a speed of 10m/s. The boat immediately after had a velocity of 10m/s. The mass of the child is 26.0kg and the mass of the boat is 45.0kg. Ignore water resistance.
fishert16
A child in a boat throws a 6.40kg package out horizontally with a speed of 10m/s. Calculate the velocity of the boat immediately after, assuming it was initially at rest. The mass of the child is 26.0kg and the mass of the boat is 45.0kg. Ignore water resistance.

Relevant equations

MV1 + MV2 = M(1+2)V(1+2)

The attempt at a solution

Im not sure what other equations to use. I think possibly [1/2(MVf^2) - 1/2(MVi^2)] + [(MGHf)-(MGHi)] though I am not totaly sure about this.

Could someone lead me in the right direction. I am not sure what goes where.

Physics news on Phys.org
fishert16 said:
A child in a boat throws a 6.40kg package out horizontally with a speed of 10m/s. Calculate the velocity of the boat immediately after, assuming it was initially at rest. The mass of the child is 26.0kg and the mass of the boat is 45.0kg. Ignore water resistance.

Relevant equations

MV1 + MV2 = M(1+2)V(1+2)

The attempt at a solution

Im not sure what other equations to use. I think possibly [1/2(MVf^2) - 1/2(MVi^2)] + [(MGHf)-(MGHi)] though I am not totaly sure about this.

Could someone lead me in the right direction. I am not sure what goes where.
More correctly M1V1+ M2V= (M1+ M2)(Vi). I presume your M(1+2) is the sum of the two masses- I'm not sure what you meant by "V1+ V2".
Taking the child and boat together to be M1, the package to be M2, M1= 26+ 45= 71 kg and M2= 6.4 kg. What is V2, the velocity of the package, is 10 m/s? You are asked to find V1, the velocity of the child and boat. The only thing you are missing is the inital velocity- and you are TOLD that in the problem. What is it?

So initial velocity is 0 correct? I appreciate this, this is exactly what I needed to know.

1. What is boat linear momentum?

Boat linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of a boat in a straight line. It is the product of the boat's mass and its velocity.

2. How is boat linear momentum calculated?

Boat linear momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the boat by its velocity. The formula is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the relationship between boat linear momentum and boat speed?

Boat linear momentum and boat speed are directly proportional. This means that as one increases, the other will also increase, and vice versa.

4. How does boat linear momentum affect the motion of the boat?

Boat linear momentum is a measure of the boat's inertia and its tendency to continue moving in a straight line. The greater the momentum, the harder it is to change the boat's direction or speed.

5. How can boat linear momentum be changed?

Boat linear momentum can be changed by altering the mass or velocity of the boat. Increasing the mass or velocity will increase the momentum, while decreasing either will decrease the momentum.