Solving Two-Horse Stump Pulling Problem: Find F2

• Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date
In summary, the horses pulled horizontally on the ropes, and the resultant force was equal to the sum of F1 and F2. θ was 135 degrees.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

Two horses pull horizontally on ropes attached to a stump. The two forces F1= 1300 N and F2 that they apply to the stump are such that the net (resultant) force R has a magnitude equal to that of F1 and makes an angle of 90 with F1.

What is the magnitude of F2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer correct but I was confused with the wording. F2 ended up being at some angle with respect to the x-axis and F1. I thought that this force was horizontal. Could somebody clarify this? Also could this be solved using the dot product?

θ=135
F2= 1838N

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:
I got the answer correct but I was confused with the wording. F2 ended up being at some angle with respect to the x-axis and F1. I thought that this force was horizontal. Could somebody clarify this?
When they say that the horses pulled horizontally, they just mean that the ropes were parallel to the ground, not angling upward or downward.

If F1 is along the y-axis, then the resultant will be along the x-axis. You use that fact to solve for F2. (The x-y plane is the plane of the ground.)

How did you solve it?

Doc Al said:
When they say that the horses pulled horizontally, they just mean that the ropes were parallel to the ground, not angling upward or downward.

If F1 is along the y-axis, then the resultant will be along the x-axis. You use that fact to solve for F2. (The x-y plane is the plane of the ground.)

How did you solve it?

Fy:

F=ma

ma=R
F2sin(theta) =1300N

Fx:

F=ma
F1+F2cos(theta) =ma

ma=0

-F1/cos(θ) =F2

I substituted this into the Fy. I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it though.

Toranc3 said:
Fy:

F=ma

ma=R
F2sin(theta) =1300N

Fx:

F=ma
F1+F2cos(theta) =ma

ma=0

-F1/cos(θ) =F2

I substituted this into the Fy. I am not sure if this is the correct way to do it though.
Please define your directions. Where is F1 pointing? What's θ?

Instead of F = ma, just use ƩF = whatever. There's no acceleration involved, just adding forces.

Doc Al said:
Please define your directions. Where is F1 pointing? What's θ?

Instead of F = ma, just use ƩF = whatever. There's no acceleration involved, just adding forces.

Yeah I did it over again with just forces. Thanks for your help.

What is the "Two-Horse Stump Pulling Problem"?

The Two-Horse Stump Pulling Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the weight of a stump (F2) when two horses are used to pull it.

Why is this problem important?

This problem has practical applications in the real world, such as determining the necessary horsepower for a specific task or figuring out the maximum weight that can be pulled by a certain number of horses. It also helps develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What is the equation used to solve this problem?

The equation used is F2 = (F1 x D1) / D2, where F1 is the weight of the known object, D1 is the distance the known object was moved, and D2 is the distance the unknown object (stump) was moved.

How do I use this equation to solve the problem?

First, you need to measure the distance (D1) the known object was moved and the distance (D2) the stump was moved. Then, plug those values and the weight of the known object (F1) into the equation F2 = (F1 x D1) / D2 to calculate the weight of the stump.

Are there any limitations to this equation?

This equation assumes that the horses are pulling with a constant force and that there is no friction or other external factors affecting the pulling. It also only works for two horses pulling in a straight line. Real-life situations may have different variables that could affect the accuracy of the solution.