Bohr Model and photon emission

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of emission lines observed in the Bohr model when applied to atoms such as hydrogen. The individual has never given this much thought and is unsure why only 4 emission lines are observed when there are more than 4 energy levels capable of emitting a photon. They come to the conclusion that any energy levels beyond 4 are not visible to us and that there are other series, such as the Balmer series, that are constructed within the UV portion of the spectrum. It is mentioned that for the purposes of the foundations of chemistry, the Bohr model may be sufficient, but for a deeper understanding of the physical fundamentals, one must go beyond it.
osker246
I am feeling a little stupid asking this considering I am about to graduate with my BS in chemistry. But I have never given this much thought, nor do I remember learning this and I can't figure out a proper explanation. I am sure I am overlooking a simple detail, but I can not figure it out.

Ok, so I understand the bohr model and the principles behind photon absorption/emission perfectly fine. But one thing that is puzzling to me is why is it when the bohr model is applied to an atom such as hydrogen, only 4 emission lines observed? Can't it have more? I ask this because, the energy levels, n, go from n=0,1,2,3,4,...,infinity, right? So obviously there are more than 4 different energy levels that are capable of emitting a photon. Anybody have an answer?

*edit*

I think I figured it out...is it due to when n>4 that the only wavelength emitted are beyond the visible spectrum, thus meaning it is not visible to us?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Essentially, you have answered your own question, I think. However, it will be easiest to restrict our attention to the Balmer series, especially to the spectral lines H-alpha to H-gamma. Where λ >400nm (i.e. (n=3) to (n=6)) the photon emitted lies within the visible spectrum.

There are many series in addition to Balmer, even where n-prime is greater than 6.

There are series constructed entirely within the UV portion of the spectrum, for example.

If you are interested in physical fundamentals, you will have to go beyond the Bohr model, however for the purposes of the foundations of chemistry this could be unnecessary. Most applications of partially quantised classical theories and models are fine (i.e. work) within certain scales.

1. What is the Bohr Model?

The Bohr Model, also known as the Bohr atomic model, is a simplified diagram of an atom proposed by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913. It depicts the atom as a small, positively charged nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons in specific energy levels.

2. How does the Bohr Model explain photon emission?

The Bohr Model explains photon emission by stating that when an electron in a higher energy level drops down to a lower energy level, it releases a photon of light. The energy of the photon is equal to the difference in energy between the two levels.

3. How does the Bohr Model differ from the modern atomic model?

The Bohr Model differs from the modern atomic model in that it depicts electrons as orbiting the nucleus in specific energy levels, whereas the modern model views electrons as existing in a cloud of probability around the nucleus. Additionally, the modern model takes into account the concept of electron spin, which was not considered in the Bohr Model.

4. What is the significance of the Bohr Model in the development of modern atomic theory?

The Bohr Model was a significant contribution to the development of modern atomic theory as it was the first model to successfully explain the spectral lines of hydrogen atoms and introduced the concept of quantized energy levels in atoms. It also served as a starting point for further research and advancements in atomic theory.

5. Can the Bohr Model be applied to all atoms?

No, the Bohr Model is only applicable to atoms with one electron, such as hydrogen. It does not accurately represent the behavior of atoms with multiple electrons. However, it laid the foundation for the development of more complex atomic models that can be applied to all elements.