1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Boltzmann Distribution Derivation Question

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    Hello, I have a question about Boltzmann Distribution.

I wonder why partial N of Nj is 1 and partial U of Nj=Ej. because N is constant, partial N of Nj has to be 0 and Partial Nj of U has to be 0 as well.

They are constants so, to make sense of the equation, alpha and beta have to be 0 but this is still absurd.

Can anyone tell me why this is true?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

With partial N of Nj you seem to mean ##\partial N\over \partial N_j##, right ?

Well, if ##\ \ A = x+y+z\ \ ## then what is ##\ \ {\partial A\over \partial x}\ \ ## according to you ?

4. Oct 17, 2016 #3
    if A is const, isnt it 0 where x is 0? or y,z is depedent on x where partial_x (y+z)=-1.
    N is not a function. it is a constant, according to the second and third screen shot. on the second screen shot, it says we are multiplying constants by zero.

Well I thought, it would make sense if N is a function because we are dealing with some unknown N number of particles. then, partial_Nj (N)=1. but since the slide says Partial_Nj(N) is 0, so.. I got lost.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. Oct 18, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

N is ##\sum N_j## and as such has a partial derivative with respect to ##N_j##. Look up the definition of partial derivative. That doesn't change because a constraint (##N## is constant) is imposed.
    That would be the sheet with "13/28" and it's nonsense. (I understand your question a lot better now :smile:)

If you look up the method of Lagrange multipliers perhaps it'll become a bit clearer, in the sense that at an extremum a necessary condition is that the gradients are linearly dependent. Hence these Lagrange multipliers ##\alpha## and ##\beta##.
    It certainly isn't true that all ##\ \ {\partial \phi\over \partial N_j} \ \ ## and ##\ \ {\partial \psi\over \partial N_j} \ \ ## are zero.

6. Oct 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks a lot. I spent quite a lot of time on figuring out what went wrong in the note and what I did wrong.
    Thank you!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted