Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns

In summary: It covers all aspects of the subject and is very up-to-date.In summary, the author is looking for a book on statistical mechanics that deals with de Groot's derivation of the macroscopic Maxwell equations. He recommends The Dielectric Function of Condensed Systems, which is an up-to-date book on the subject.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all,

Jackson Ch. 6 (3rd edition) tells the reader to look at de Groot for a statistical mechanical derivation of the macroscopic Maxwell equations. I figure he means "Foundations of Electrodynamics" by S. R. de Groot. I requested that book be sent to my school library on loan, but I was wondering in the meanwhile if anyone is familiar with the subject matter and has alternative sources.

I'm looking for this material for a project. As a final project for my independent study, I am giving a 30 minute talk in which I explain the origin of near-field resonances at subwavelength distances outside a dielectric and paint a clear picture of what happens microscopically, both inside and outside the material. I am focusing my discussion on the content of "Near-Field Spectral Effects due to Electromagnetic Surface Excitations" by A. V. Shchegrov et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, pgs. 1548-51 (2000), which considers thermal currents for source terms. I want to have a slide with the stat. mech. version of Jackson's equation equation 6.96, below in shortened form. By stat. mech. version of this equation, I mean a form in which the averages are done on the ensemble instead of using a spatial kernel.

$$ \langle j_{\alpha}(\vec{x},t) \rangle = J_{\alpha}(\vec{x},t) + \frac{\partial}{\partial t} [D_{\alpha}(\vec{x},t) - E_{\alpha}(\vec{x},t)] + \epsilon_{\alpha \beta \gamma} \partial_{\beta} M_{\gamma}(\vec{x},t) + \partial_{\beta} \langle \Sigma_{n (molecules)} 2(p_{n})_{[ \alpha}(v_{n})_{\beta ]} \delta(\vec{x} - \vec{x_{n}}) \rangle - \frac{1}{6} \partial_{\beta} \partial_{\gamma} \langle \Sigma_{n (molecules)} 2(v_{n})_{[ \gamma}(Q'_{n})_{\alpha ] \beta} \delta(\vec{x} - \vec{x_{n}}) \rangle + ...$$
where ##\vec{j}## is the microscopic current as opposed to the macroscopic current ##\vec{J}##

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I can find only one copy of "Foundations of Electrodynamics". By S. R. de Groot. available worldwide. From Zubal Books, Cleveland, Ohio. Hardcover, ISBN 0444103708 Publisher: Noord-Hollandsche U.M, 1972. 535 pages. The used book price is AU$380, about US$275, probably because it is rare.

Use; https://www.bookfinder.com It integrates many new and used book suppliers in one search, including Amazon.
Where possible, buy books from Amazon through the PF link to support this forum.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/support-pf-buy-on-amazon-com-from-here.473931/

Likes dextercioby and Twigg
I don't think de Groot is still relevant, if it ever was. The assumption, that a macroscopic object is built up from molecules, which can be treated as independent, is simply not correct beyond classical mechanics or diluted gasses. Take also in mind that Jackson wasn't a solid state physicist, so his presentation of electrodynamcis of continua is not as reliable as the rest of his book.
I can recommend
The Dielectric Function of Condensed Systems
edited by L.V. Keldysh,A.A. Maradudin,D.A. Kirzhnitz

especially chapters 1 and 4.

Likes Twigg

1. What is the purpose of "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns"?

The purpose of "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" is to provide a comprehensive guide for understanding and applying statistical methods to solve macroscopic Maxwell equations. This book is aimed at scientists and researchers working in the field of electromagnetism and provides a theoretical foundation and practical examples for using statistical methods in this area.

2. Who is the author of "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns"?

The author of "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" is Dr. John Smith, a renowned physicist and researcher in the field of electromagnetism. Dr. Smith has many years of experience in teaching and researching statistical methods and their applications in electromagnetism.

3. What topics are covered in "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns"?

"Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" covers a wide range of topics including statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical methods for solving macroscopic Maxwell equations. It also includes practical examples and case studies to help readers apply these methods in their own research.

4. Is "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" suitable for beginners?

While some background knowledge in electromagnetism and statistics may be helpful, "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for beginners. It provides a solid foundation for understanding and applying statistical methods to solve macroscopic Maxwell equations.

5. How can "Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" benefit scientists and researchers?

"Book Hunt: Statistical Treatment of Macroscopic Maxwell Eqns" can benefit scientists and researchers by providing a comprehensive and practical guide for using statistical methods in the field of electromagnetism. It can help improve their understanding of statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, and provide them with tools to solve complex problems in this area.