Book similar to Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang

In summary, Lang's Basic Mathematics is a good book for a student who wants to be a mathematician like Serge. It covers a variety of topics in mathematics, including functions, sequences, and series.
operations
Book similar to "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang"

I'm looking for a good book for my son, who wants to be a mathematician like me. He is totally into mathematics!

Basically what I need is a "Apostol or Spivak for High School Math". What I mean is: I need a "rigorous mathematician's book".

I think that "Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang" would be perfect, since I could take a look at it's table of contents and first pages at Amazon, but I cannot find it here in my country.

Does anybody knows similar books?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org

bump because i am wondering the same thing. Are there any books that treat high school math "rigorously"? I am taking calculus next semester and I want to get a very strong understanding on all the topics leading up to it while also gaining exposure to rigourous math in preparation for proof-based courses down the road.

I have Lang's Basic Mathematics, do you think it fits the bill? Any other books that meet my criteria?

i would suggest the 1955 edition of allendoerfer and oakley as much better than lang. but they assume some of the basic math lang covers. so it depends how basic you want your book to be. If you want material more elementary than A and O, gelfand's book Algebra is also very basic and seems much better written than lang's book. lang was a brilliant man but he wrote his books generally very carelessly, just the opposite of gelfand and others of the russian school of mathematics, where outstanding exposition is the norm.

Thanks mathwonk. My library has the 1955, 1963, and 1963 versions of Principles of Mathematics. Do you believe the 1955 version to be the best?

Also, the sole review on amazon describes the book's content as "assorted fun topics in the theory of functions as well as good stuff on sequences and series." Are those the crucial topics of high school math? I was hoping to build a strong understanding of all things that should be known before starting calculus while also getting introduced to the rigorous style that will be used in later math classes. (one of my loftier goals is to eventually be able to work my way through spivak :shy:)

I trust your opinion way more than that reviewers for obvious reasons, but I still wanted to make sure the book fits what I'm looking for.Edit: It doesn't have to be just 1 book either thanks to how long christmas break is in college!

Last edited:

i used the 1955 edition myself and liked it. usually the earliest edition of a good book is the best.

this book goes well beyond what used to be taught in hugh school, and is excellent prep for spivak. it cannot be read over even a long xmas break, but contains plenty for a long year course. the logic at the beginning is one of the best parts, and is usually missing in many high school preparations. the complex numbers are clearly explained, another valuable topic.say, you might enjoy euler's elements of algebra, free on the web. there is no magic choice, the one that you enjoy and feel connected to is the one for you. math is not a list of topics but an experience of motivation and communication. the one that has you thinking about the concepts afterwards and wanting to know more is the one you want. euclid's elements is also quite wonderful.look on my webpage for some free stuff. you might appreciate my epsilon camp notes and my math 4000 notes there.

Thank mathwonk, but if I can't finish the book over winter break do you still think it would prepare me for calculus? I am taking that in the spring and I have a really weak high school math background that I wanted to strengthen over winter break so i don't fail...

What is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang?

Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang is a comprehensive textbook on introductory mathematics, covering topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is commonly used as a reference book or as a textbook for college-level mathematics courses.

Is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang a good book for beginners?

Yes, Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang is an excellent book for beginners. The author presents the material in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for readers to understand and apply the concepts.

Are there any practice problems in "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang?

Yes, there are plenty of practice problems in Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang. The book includes numerous exercises and examples to help readers reinforce their understanding of the concepts and improve their problem-solving skills.

Is "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang suitable for self-study?

Yes, Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang is suitable for self-study. The book is organized in a logical and sequential manner, making it easy for readers to follow along and learn at their own pace.

What sets "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang apart from other math textbooks?

One of the main strengths of Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang is its rigorous and thorough approach to teaching mathematics. The author provides clear explanations, proofs, and examples to help readers truly understand the concepts and develop a strong foundation in mathematics.