Book suggestions for communication systems?

In summary, the speaker is an EE graduate who wants to learn about communication systems but has no prior exposure to signal analysis. They are looking for recommendations on where to begin and which textbooks to use. Their goal is to gain enough knowledge to design communication systems for smart grids. The suggested book "Introduction to Communication Systems" by Stremler is a good starting point, but the speaker may need to brush up on Fourier Analysis and Probability and Random Variables beforehand. Other suggested texts include "Adaptive Signal Processing" by Widrow and Stearns.
I_am_learning
I am an EE graduate and I haven't had any pre-exposure to any signal analysis and communications course (I did mostly machines, power systems and control systems(where I have known about frequency domain)). I want to start learning about communication systems, from the early radios to the modern wifis ! Where do I begin? and which text-books do you recommend. My aim is to get maximum knowledge in the minimal time! :) My ultimate aim is to have enough knowledge in communication system to be able to design appropriate communication systems for smart grids.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the suggestion jedishrfu. Looks like the book assumes that you have previous knowledge of signal analysis though.

that book has horrible reviews indeed, but the reviewers suggest alternative books too.

The easiest solution is: go on your university website, look for the course in signal analysis and communication that is available for the EE BSc (and which you didn't take) and look at the suggested books, or use the material the professor uploaded.

You will want to brush up on Fourier Analysis, and on Probability and Random Variables before/while doing this reading...

"Introduction to Communication Systems" by Stremler (good intro)

"Adaptive Signal Processing" by Widrow and Stearns (fairly advanced)

1. What are the benefits of reading books about communication systems?

Reading books about communication systems can provide a deeper understanding of how different forms of communication work and how they can be optimized. This knowledge can be applied to various fields such as business, technology, and interpersonal relationships, making it a valuable skill in today's world.

2. What are some recommended books for learning about communication systems?

Some popular books for learning about communication systems include "Communication Systems" by Simon Haykin, "Data and Computer Communications" by William Stallings, and "The Communication Book: 44 Ideas for Better Conversations Every Day" by Mikael Krogerus and Roman Tschäppeler.

3. Are there any books specifically focused on improving communication skills?

Yes, there are many books that focus on improving communication skills. Some examples include "Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High" by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie, and "Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life" by Marshall B. Rosenberg.

4. How can reading books about communication systems benefit my career?

Understanding communication systems can be highly beneficial in a career as it can improve collaboration, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. It can also make you a more effective leader and help you navigate complex workplace dynamics.

5. Are there any online resources or forums for discussing book suggestions on communication systems?

Yes, there are several online resources and forums for discussing book suggestions on communication systems. Goodreads and Reddit have dedicated communities for discussing books on this topic, and LinkedIn also has groups focused on communication systems that may offer book recommendations and discussions.