Books about engineering Cogweels and/or transmission

In summary, Mr.Z has recently become interested in developing a CNC system, but feels that his lack of experience limits his ability to do so. He has found some good books on mechanical engineering and is looking into courses in 3D CAD software and electronics.
MrZwing
I have recently found an intresst in thinking about and want to try to develop a CNC system or something similar with computer to mechnical hardware communication.

but i believe my knowledge about mechanical engineering feels limited and would appreciate some good general books about mechanical engineering and some good books about Cogweels and transmissions and how to calculate them prefably somting from the basic's and up.

Thank you.

/MrZ

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The project you are contemplating is a very long term project, maybe never ending.
Consider a shorter project that will provide a quick result while providing a useful tool.
3D printers are available that may get you experimenting very quickly.

To function well, machines that actually cut solids need to be very well designed by experienced engineers. Maybe modifying an available manual milling machine to CNC would be possible.

Machines that cut cloth or sheet plastic are not so heavy and may be easier to build and put to work. Likewise a large format painting machine, (paint spitting?), is a possibility as it does little physical work.

Perhaps the best way to follow your interest, and be paid to do it, would be to work for a manufacturer who uses “Wire EDM” equipment. WEDM uses 3D CNC to position a moving brass wire electrode that can cut very hard conductive materials by spark erosion.

Since you are now following your interests, it is probably best to go to a library to identify books that suit you on mechanical engineering. Used book shops have ME books, often at very low prices. Once you have identified a book and want a printed copy, you can use bookfinder.com to locate a new or used copy at the right price.

I do not know your budget so I have not suggested any particular new books.
Ask follow up questions if you require more specific answers.

Found some

Hello and sorry for the time it took for my responce

CNC is quite a heavy subject but still really interessting i have a education in CNC-operating so i have experiebce in the understanding how they work, but still not enough I am naturally extreemly curious and have an urge to know hoe thing work from the ground upp and get a bit obsessive and often end upp wanting to build a basic type just to know.

i have more ideas withing engineering so i found quite a lot of book's on the internet probably going to start with
An Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Part 1 and 2 by Clifford, Brooks, Howe

it seems very well put together but ill know for shure after i read it. haven't skimmed through the rest but i think fluid dynamics might be a bit mutch until i read upp on the basics.

going to look at some courses in some 3D CAD software too and learn some vasics there as well.
as for electronics i am currently wgating for ans answer form a 2y long course in electronics anf hope ill get in if not i also applied for Automation Engineer and will elarn electronics and MC programming in my spare time.

but i will by some papper copies when the gods of economics smile upon me sine i like the feel of books more then staring at a flickering screen.

sorry for the bad grammar and spelling english is not my native spoken or written language.

1. What is the purpose of books about engineering Cogweels and/or transmission?

Books about engineering Cogweels and/or transmission provide detailed information on the design, construction, and operation of cogwheels and transmission systems. They serve as a valuable resource for engineers and technicians looking to understand these complex mechanisms and use them effectively in their projects.

2. Are there any specific books that are recommended for beginners in the field of engineering cogwheels and transmission?

Yes, there are several books that are highly recommended for beginners in this field. Some popular titles include "Mechanical Engineering: Cogwheel Systems" by Robert L. Norton, "Transmission Systems Design Handbook" by Robert Bosch GmbH, and "Gear Design Simplified" by Franklin D. Jones and Henry H. Ryffel.

3. Do these books cover both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering cogwheels and transmission?

Yes, most books on this topic cover both theoretical and practical aspects. They provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and equations involved in cogwheel and transmission design, as well as practical examples and case studies to illustrate their application in real-world scenarios.

4. Are there any specific software or tools that are recommended for use in conjunction with these books?

Yes, there are several software and tools that are commonly used in conjunction with these books. Some popular options include CAD software such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks for design and simulation, as well as gear design software such as KISSsoft or Gearotic for specific cogwheel design calculations.

5. Can these books be used for self-study or are they better suited for classroom use?

These books can be used for both self-study and classroom use. They are written in a clear and concise manner, making them accessible for self-study. However, they are also commonly used as textbooks in engineering courses, providing a structured approach to learning about cogwheels and transmission systems.