Is Brushing Up on Analysis Enough for a Graduate Course in Mathematical Finance?

In summary, Eduardo is planning to start a Graduate course in Mathematical Finance and needs to brush up on his mathematics. He has done the basics of Calculus and Linear Algebra, but feels he needs to really know Analysis. He is considering studying 3 hours a day and has asked for suggestions on how to study. Some people suggest not using Bourbaki books and instead just grabbing a good analysis book. Eduardo also wants to work on his foundations and asks for suggestions on what books to study. Someone recommends Lang's Basic Mathematics and Bryant's Yet Another Introduction to Analysis. Eduardo is also considering studying Tom Apostol's Calculus books and wants to know what to study next for probability. He has already studied statistics, econometrics, and probability,
esahione
Hello Everyone!

I'm going to start a Graduate course in Mathematical Finance next year, and I need some brushing up on my mathematics. I've done the basics: Calculus and Linear Algebra. But where I'm going to, the least I'm going to need is to really know my Analysis. I'm an economics undergrad at the moment.

I was thinking of grabbing the Bourbaki books. At least Set Theory, Algebra I and II, Integration and Topology.

But maybe that's not the best way, so I came here to ask you guys. I was planning to study 3h a day (I have the time to do it at work).

What do you guys think?

Eduardo.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you already been exposed to analysis and integration theory?

Bourbaki is not the way to go for so many reasons.

Just grab a good analysis book. Ask if you need suggestions.

Well, I haven't done analysis yet. But I need not only to learn analysis, but to also to work on my foundations. The place I'm going to study at is IMPA (Brazilian Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics). They expect me to know my math really, really well. That includes my statistics and probability.

Any other suggestions?

Here's what I'm going to do over this week:

a) Go through Lang's Basic Mathematics
b) Go through Victor Bryant's Yet Another Introduction to Analysis

Then I'll go through Tom Apostol's Calculus books. After that I don't really know what to do.

What do you guys think about Rudin's book? And which book should I study next, to brush up on my probability? I have studied statistics, econometrics and probability already, but I want to go slightly deeper.Eduardo.

Last edited:
If you want to brush up on foundations, go ahead. But a math finance course will require knowledge of analysis. That's it. Any knowledge of algebra, topology, set theory, etc. is not used in any way.

1. What is a "Books Graduate Course"?

A "Books Graduate Course" is a course offered at the graduate level that focuses on the study and analysis of books. This can include topics such as literary analysis, book history, publishing, and book design.

2. What can I expect to learn in a "Books Graduate Course"?

In a "Books Graduate Course", you can expect to learn about the history and evolution of books, different literary theories and analysis methods, and how publishing and book design impact literature. You may also have the opportunity to study specific genres or authors in depth.

3. What are the benefits of taking a "Books Graduate Course"?

Taking a "Books Graduate Course" can provide you with a deeper understanding and appreciation of literature, as well as critical thinking and analytical skills. It can also be beneficial for those interested in pursuing a career in publishing, academia, or writing.

4. What types of assignments are typically given in a "Books Graduate Course"?

Assignments in a "Books Graduate Course" may include reading and analyzing various literary works, writing essays and research papers, participating in group discussions and presentations, and creating book reviews or critiques.

5. Is a background in literature necessary for taking a "Books Graduate Course"?

While a background in literature can be helpful, it is not always necessary for taking a "Books Graduate Course". Some courses may have prerequisites or recommend previous coursework in literature, but others may be open to students from a variety of academic backgrounds.