Books on mathematical physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a book that covers advanced mathematics in quantum mechanics and general relativity. Multiple recommendations were made, with the book "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics: Groups, Hilbert Space, and Differential Geometry" by Peter Szekeres being the most highly recommended. It was noted that this book covers the necessary mathematics for both quantum mechanics and general relativity, unlike other options such as Arfken which is more of a problem-solving guide.
Boltzmann2012
Hey guys, I have seen many posts on the same topic but I was unable to come to a coherent conclusion. I have seen people reffering to Arfken or Mary Boas.
I have sufficient knowledge in linear algebra, statistics and calculus in many variables. I am presently taking a course in complex analysis. I would like to know if there is any book on a slightly higher footing which would help me understand the advanced math in quantum mechanics and general relativity.

Regards
Boltzmann 2012

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like this book is a good fit to you:

Peter Szekeres - A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics: Groups, Hilbert Space and Differential Geometry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm currently studying this book. It covers the mathematics for both quantum mechanics and general relativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huqinpku said:
It looks like this book is a good fit to you:

Peter Szekeres - A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics: Groups, Hilbert Space and Differential Geometry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521829607/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm currently studying this book. It covers the mathematics for both quantum mechanics and general relativity.

I second this reccomendation, it's a very nice book. Stay away from Arfken!

Arfken is very good but it's not what I consider a 'mathematical physics' textbook. It's a cookbook for solving problems, not learning the math necessary for formalism.

While Frankel is interesting (I recently checked it out from my library),
it is focused on "Geometry" [as its title suggests].
I think Szekeres would be more appropriate for the OP.

What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical methods to solve problems and explain phenomena in the natural world. It involves the application of mathematical concepts, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, to understand and describe physical systems.

Why is mathematical physics important?

Mathematical physics is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding and predicting physical phenomena. It allows scientists to develop mathematical models and equations that accurately describe and explain complex physical systems, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

What are some examples of mathematical physics?

Examples of mathematical physics include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. These fields use mathematical tools to study and explain the behavior of particles, waves, and energy in the physical world.

What makes a good book on mathematical physics?

A good book on mathematical physics should have a clear and concise presentation of concepts, with well-explained mathematical derivations and examples. It should also include relevant applications and connections to real-world phenomena, as well as exercises and problems for practice.

What background knowledge is required to understand books on mathematical physics?

A solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to grasp the concepts in mathematical physics. A background in basic physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, is also helpful. Some books may also assume knowledge of more advanced topics, such as complex analysis, group theory, and differential geometry.