Books on Quantum Mechanics

• Quantum
  • Thread starter rahaverhma
  • Start date
Hi everyone ,
I am interested in learning quantum mechanics. I want to read a book which explains each and every aspect of quantum physics , gives a conceptual understanding with the help of logical thinking. Also it should be like that if I know the most basic theory and concept in Quantum Physics like De-Broglie hypothesis and I imagine about it and make predictions and analyse it , then the book in front of me should talk to me in the same way so that I know about the matter more deeply and boldly.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi everyone ,
I am interested in learning quantum mechanics. I want to read a book which explains each and every aspect of quantum physics , gives a conceptual understanding with the help of logical thinking. Also it should be like that if I know the most basic theory and concept in Quantum Physics like De-Broglie hypothesis and I imagine about it and make predictions and analyse it , then the book in front of me should talk to me in the same way so that I know about the matter more deeply and boldly.
What level is your knowledge of mathematics?

What level is your knowledge of mathematics?
I have completed Bachelors in Physics from Delhi University. So, i know the mathematics concerning physics from Bachelor's course and also pure mathematics till class 12th.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have completed Bachelors in Physics from Delhi University. So, i know the mathematics concerning physics from Bachelor's course and also pure mathematics till class 12th.
You did a degree in Physics without any QM?

• Wow
Likes Amrator, madscientist_93 and Vanadium 50
Dear Sir , actually I studied all courses from Classical Physics to Modern Physics. But , as you know as time passes , we try to get more refined and deep thinking over the matter , for example , force is equal to the rate of change of momentum w.r.t time. Then how newton came to this , has not been answered by anyone till now whom i have met with. So, I think now that I should myself go like newton and formulate it. Now , coming to quantum mechanics , in my bachelor's course in our college only one faculty taught well and the subject was mathematical physics. The one of quantum mechanics taught like he just wanted to give you the information not knowledge and he was trying to get rid of her students including me because we could ask questions to her about QM. So , I hope that you have understood my position that I know every fact in quantum mechanics but don't know the philosophy behind it. Help me if you like.

Thanks.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Dear Sir , actually I studied all courses from Classical Physics to Modern Physics. But , as you know as time passes , we try to get more refined and deep thinking over the matter , for example , force is equal to the rate of change of momentum w.r.t time. Then how newton came to this , has not been answered by anyone till now whom i have met with. So, I think now that I should myself go like newton and formulate it. Now , coming to quantum mechanics , in my bachelor's course in our college only one faculty taught well and the subject was mathematical physics. The one of quantum mechanics taught like he just wanted to give you the information not knowledge and he was trying to get rid of her students including me because we could ask questions to her about QM. So , I hope that you have understood my position that I know every fact in quantum mechanics but don't know the philosophy behind it. Help me if you like.

Thanks.
If you want an understanding of QM you could start here:

https://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf

Or, there is Susskind's theoretical minimum:

There's a book as well as these video lectures.

There are several threads on here discussing the recommendations for university text books. I have Introduction to QM by Griffiths and Modern QM by Sakurai.

Likes atyy, vanhees71 and etotheipi
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
So , I hope that you have understood my position that I know every fact in quantum mechanics but don't know the philosophy behind it. Help me if you like.

Thanks.
In that case this book might suit you:

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319658667

It presupposes a basic knowledge of QM, but emphasizes conceptual, philosophical and historical aspects .

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to read a book which explains each and every aspect of quantum physics
There is no such book.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
There is no such book.
True, but he is being clearer about what he wants. He doesn't want a QM book. He wants a QM philosophy book.

Likes madscientist_93 and Demystifier
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
At about the level of Griffiths, there is "QUANTUM MECHANICS A Paradigms Approach" by David McIntyre. This book has more emphasis on Dirac notation than does Griffiths, which I like.

Likes vanhees71
I have heard that David Bohm treats QM philosophically in his 'Quantum Theory'.
True, but he is being clearer about what he wants. He doesn't want a QM book. He wants a QM philosophy book.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I don't know which book you mean, but there's a very good book by Bohm without philosophy and also presenting the subject using an orthodox interpretation. Historically, afaik, Bohm got to his alternative interpretation after writing the book, maybe even triggered by thinking about the foundations during writing this book.

Likes Demystifier, TeethWhitener and madscientist_93
I don't know which book you mean, but there's a very good book by Bohm without philosophy and also presenting the subject using an orthodox interpretation. Historically, afaik, Bohm got to his alternative interpretation after writing the book, maybe even triggered by thinking about the foundations during writing this book.
I believe we are talking about the same book.
Quantum Theory ( Dover Books on Physics) by David Bohm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486659690/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes vanhees71
Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
  • Haha
Likes Demystifier, PhDeezNutz, marcusl and 2 others
martinbn
Science Advisor
The philosophy in that book is wrong. Bohm, in that book, argued against the possibility of hidden variables.
How could philosophy be wrong or right?!

Likes madscientist_93, weirdoguy and vanhees71
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The philosophy in that book is wrong. Bohm, in that book, argued against the possibility of hidden variables.
Yes, but that's not wrong to date since nobody has discovered any "missing" or "hidden" variables whatsoever.

atyy
Science Advisor
Yes, but that's not wrong to date since nobody has discovered any "missing" or "hidden" variables whatsoever.
It's wrong since Bohm was discussing the possibility, and Bohm later discovered that they can be constructed for some quantum mechanical theories.

If you want an understanding of QM you could start here:

https://physics.mq.edu.au/~jcresser/Phys304/Handouts/QuantumPhysicsNotes.pdf

Or, there is Susskind's theoretical minimum:

There's a book as well as these video lectures.

There are several threads on here discussing the recommendations for university text books. I have Introduction to QM by Griffiths and Modern QM by Sakurai.
Thank You , Sir.

In that case this book might suit you:

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319658667

It presupposes a basic knowledge of QM, but emphasizes conceptual, philosophical and historical aspects .
Thank you , Sir.

Likes madscientist_93
vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
It's wrong since Bohm was discussing the possibility, and Bohm later discovered that they can be constructed for some quantum mechanical theories.
Which are the hidden variables in Bohm's reinterpretation of non-relativistic QT? There are no other observables than the usual ones in this interpretation than are in standard QT.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
How could philosophy be wrong or right?!
Analytic philosophy, which often uses rigorous logic, can be right or wrong in the same way as mathematics can, by arriving at conclusions which in fact do or do not follow from the assumptions.

Likes madscientist_93
martinbn
Science Advisor
Analytic philosophy, which often uses rigorous logic, can be right or wrong in the same way as mathematics can, by arriving at conclusions which in fact do or do not follow from the assumptions.
Is that what @atyy meant? I don't think so, otherwise he would have pointed out the logical error.

Likes madscientist_93
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is that what @atyy meant? I don't think so, otherwise he would have pointed out the logical error.
Well, in the book, Bohm used informal arguments rather than formal logic. But those arguments could be translated into formal logical arguments and then the place of logical error could be pinpointed.