Solve Boolean Algebra Problem: Output 1 for Numbers > 9 | IC Design Tips

In summary: AB + AC*ab'cd' + Ab'cd + Abc'd' + Abc'd + Abcd' + Abcd= a(b'c+bc') + abc'(d'+d) + abc(d'+d)= abc' + abc + ab'c + abc + abc= abc' + abc + abc + abc= abc + abc' + abc= abc + abc' + abc= abc + abc'= abcIn summary, the conversation discusses an IC design that outputs a 1 if the number is greater than 9. The Boolean expression provided is AB'CD' + AB'CD + ABC'D' + ABC'D + ABCD' + ABCD.
mr_coffee
Boolean algebra problem!

Hello everyone 'im designing a IC that will tell output a 1 if the number is > 9. so I wrote this boolean expression but I'm stuck on reducing it.
B' = B compelemnted
AB'CD' + AB'CD + ABC'D' + ABC'D + ABCD' + ABCD
AB'(CD' + CD) + AB(C'D' + C'D + CD' + CD)
any hints? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
re

If my karnaugh map is not rusty, i got

AB + AC

*ab'cd' + Ab'cd + Abc'd' + Abc'd + Abcd' + Abcd
*ab'c(d'+d) +abc'(d'+d) + Abc(d'+d)-----> (d+d') =>1
*ab'c + Abc' + Abc
*a(b'c+bc') +abc
*a[b Xor C + Bc]

The answer that 'waht' got is the correct one (a mapping easily shows that). I don't think though that I should do the actual Boolean equation for you, but I'll give you a couple of hints. Group as many of the "AND" terms together with (X + X') terms, to eliminate as much as you can to start. Then remember that you can take something like: "XYZ +..." and make it "XYZ + XYZ + ...". In other words, writing a term twice in an equation doesn't change anything. It can make it easier to work out. If you try these, you should get the answer to your original equation. Then let us see it and we'll check it for you.

KM

1. What is Boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a mathematical system that deals with logic and truth values. It uses logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT to manipulate truth values and solve problems.

2. What are the basic elements of Boolean algebra?

The basic elements of Boolean algebra are variables, logical operators, and truth values. Variables represent logical statements, operators manipulate these statements, and truth values represent the results of the operations.

3. How is Boolean algebra used in computer science?

Boolean algebra is used in computer science to design and analyze digital circuits. It is also used in programming languages to make decisions and control the flow of a program.

4. What are the laws and rules of Boolean algebra?

Some of the laws and rules of Boolean algebra include the commutative law, associative law, distributive law, and De Morgan's laws. These laws and rules help simplify complex expressions and solve problems efficiently.

5. How can I solve a Boolean algebra problem?

To solve a Boolean algebra problem, you can use truth tables, algebraic manipulation, or Karnaugh maps. It is important to understand the laws and rules of Boolean algebra and apply them correctly to solve the problem.