Boolean Algebra: Harder Than Calculus/ODEs? Book Recs

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of boolean algebra compared to other subjects, the definition of a rigid boolean algebra, and book recommendations for learning more about boolean algebra. The conversation also touches on the applications of boolean algebra and the potential opportunity to work with a well-known mathematician in this field.
romsofia
Is boolean algebra "hard" compared to calculus or ODE's? What's a rigid boolean algebra? And since I shouldn't start a new thread, can anyone recommend a good boolean algebra book?

Thanks for your answers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi romsofia! :smile:

Boolean algebra's are incredibly easy at first, but you can do some complicated things in them.

Anyway, a lot depends why you want to use boolean algebra. If you're interested in the mathematics behind the boolean algebra, then I recommend Davey and Priestley's Introduction to Lattices and Order.
As good as Davey&Priestley is "Lattices and Ordered Sets" by Roman.
A more difficult, but extremely comprehensive treatment of boolean algebra's is the Handbook of Boolean Algebra by Monk.

If you're interested in the applications of boolean algebra in electricity and law, then you're going to need other books. But I can't give much information on that;

micromass said:
Hi romsofia! :smile:

Boolean algebra's are incredibly easy at first, but you can do some complicated things in them.

Anyway, a lot depends why you want to use boolean algebra. If you're interested in the mathematics behind the boolean algebra, then I recommend Davey and Priestley's Introduction to Lattices and Order.
As good as Davey&Priestley is "Lattices and Ordered Sets" by Roman.
A more difficult, but extremely comprehensive treatment of boolean algebra's is the Handbook of Boolean Algebra by Monk.

If you're interested in the applications of boolean algebra in electricity and law, then you're going to need other books. But I can't give much information on that;

That's good news and bad news, my dad (computer engineer) also said that boolean algebra is really easy. Bad news is that I was going to ask Dr.Monk to see if he needed an intern for the summer since he is doing research in "the theory of infinite Boolean algebras" but seeing as he has a famous book out, I probably won't be emailing him. Nonetheless, thanks for your help as always micromass!

Why not email him? It can't hurt to ask, can it? It's likely that he says no, but you don't know that yet.

And I wouldn't call the book famous :smile: I think only the people working with boolean algebra's have heard of it. It's a good book, but I don't think many mathematicians know it...

micromass said:
Why not email him? It can't hurt to ask, can it? It's likely that he says no, but you don't know that yet.

And I wouldn't call the book famous :smile: I think only the people working with boolean algebra's have heard of it. It's a good book, but I don't think many mathematicians know it...

Just sent him an email, because you're right, I really have nothing to lose in this situation :P. Thanks for your help!

1. What is Boolean Algebra?

Boolean Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with logical operations and truth values. It involves the use of variables, logical operators (such as AND, OR, and NOT), and symbols (0 and 1) to represent and manipulate logical statements. It is widely used in computer science and digital electronics.

2. How is Boolean Algebra related to Calculus and Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs)?

While Boolean Algebra and Calculus/ODEs are both branches of mathematics, they serve different purposes. Boolean Algebra deals with discrete values and logical operations, while Calculus and ODEs deal with continuous values and the study of change. However, there are some similarities between the two, such as the use of logic and problem-solving skills.

3. Is Boolean Algebra harder than Calculus and ODEs?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's strengths and interests. Some people may find Boolean Algebra more intuitive and easier to understand, while others may find Calculus and ODEs more challenging. It ultimately comes down to the individual's level of understanding and comfort with the subject matter.

4. Are there any recommended books for learning Boolean Algebra?

Yes, there are many books available for learning Boolean Algebra. Some popular options include "The Laws of Boolean Algebra" by John V. McCarthy, "Boolean Algebra and Its Applications" by J. Eldon Whitesitt, and "Boolean Algebra Essentials" by Alan Kytonen. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and level of understanding.

5. How can I apply Boolean Algebra in real life?

Boolean Algebra has many real-life applications, particularly in the fields of computer science and digital electronics. It is used in the design of computer circuits, logic gates, and programming languages. It is also used in decision-making processes and problem-solving in various industries. Understanding Boolean Algebra can help improve critical thinking and analytical skills, which can be applied in various aspects of life.