Boolean Reduction: Can It Be Reduced?

• Thread starter lespaul5895
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the expression (\overline a \overline b \overline c)+(a \overline b \overline c)+(\overline a \overline b d) is not reducible. The asker has attempted to reduce it but has not found a way to do so, and is wondering if \overline b \overline c+\overline a \overline b d is the answer. The responder confirms that this is the correct answer, and suggests using K-maps for future problems as they are more efficient than using algebra to simplify expressions.
lespaul5895
[tex]([/tex][tex]\overline a \overline b \overline c)[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]a \overline b \overline c)[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]\overline a \overline b d)[/tex]
is this reducable?
I'm new to this as you may be able to tell, but I've went through this and have not found a way to reduce it, well I thought I had but then when I make a truth table the results don't match. Please help me out if you can, I'd greatly appreciate it.

edit: is [tex]\overline b \overline c[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]\overline a \overline b d[/tex] the answer?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer looks right to me. Btw, K-maps are helpful for these problems.

yeah, thanks. We just learned about kmaps today in class as a matter of fact. seems much easier than trying to reduce through algebra lol

1. What is Boolean reduction?

Boolean reduction is a mathematical process that simplifies complex Boolean expressions by reducing them to their simplest form. It involves using logical operators, such as AND, OR, and NOT, to evaluate and simplify logical statements.

2. How does Boolean reduction work?

Boolean reduction works by applying logical rules and identities to a given Boolean expression. These rules and identities include De Morgan's laws, distributive property, and identity laws. By simplifying the expression using these rules, the resulting expression is equivalent to the original but is simpler and easier to understand.

3. Can any Boolean expression be reduced?

Yes, any Boolean expression can be reduced using Boolean reduction. However, the level of simplification may vary depending on the complexity of the expression and the knowledge of the person performing the reduction.

4. What are the benefits of Boolean reduction?

Boolean reduction is useful for simplifying complex logical statements, making them easier to understand and work with. It also helps in identifying errors and inconsistencies in the expression. Additionally, it can make computer programs more efficient by reducing the number of logical operations required to evaluate a statement.

5. Are there any limitations to Boolean reduction?

While Boolean reduction is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It may not always result in the simplest form of the expression, and it may not work for all types of logical statements. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of Boolean algebra and logical rules to be applied correctly.