Boost Conductance with Coated Graphite Paper Strip | 1mA V-1 Dimensions

• Thread starter Christopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductance
In summary, the question is about determining the dimensions for a strip of paper coated with graphite that has a conductance of 1mA V-1. Conductance is negatively affected by length and positively affected by width. The correct equation for this relationship is \frac{G_1}{G_2} = \frac{L_2}{L_1} \frac{W_1}{W_2}. Resistance, on the other hand, is inversely affected by length and directly affected by width.
Christopher
I have this question whihc is confusing me on Conductance. The Question is Paper uniformly coated with graphite can be electrically conducting. A strip of the coated paper is 10mm wide and 250mm long has a resistance of 2KO (ohms). Sggest dimensions for a strip with conductance 1mA V-1 (little -1 above V, sorry can't remember the name for that :frown: )

Okay this is what I know already which could help me. Conductance is increased with the length of wire (strip) and decreased with the width.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're looking for this:
[tex]\frac {G_1}{G_2} = \frac {L_2}{L_1} \frac {W_1}{W_2}[/tex]
You have the relationships backward. Conductance will decrease with increasing length and increase with increasing length, assuming constant temperature.

Thankyou. I was thinking of Resistance then which is the other way round.

Related to Boost Conductance with Coated Graphite Paper Strip | 1mA V-1 Dimensions

1. What is conductance?

Conductance is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is the inverse of resistance, with higher conductance indicating better conductivity.

2. How is conductance calculated?

Conductance is calculated by dividing the current flow through a material by the voltage applied. The unit of conductance is the siemens (S).

3. What factors affect conductance?

The factors that affect conductance include the material's composition, temperature, and dimensions. Materials with higher concentrations of free electrons or ions tend to have higher conductance, while higher temperatures can decrease conductance.

4. What is the difference between conductance and conductivity?

Conductance is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity, while conductivity is a measure of the ease with which electricity flows through a material. Conductivity takes into account the material's dimensions, while conductance does not.

5. How can conductance be increased?

There are several ways to increase conductance, such as using materials with higher concentrations of free electrons or ions, increasing the material's temperature, or altering the material's dimensions to decrease its resistance. Additionally, using materials with better conductivity, such as metals, can also increase conductance.