Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boson and electron mass and speed in beta decay

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    My first post - Hi everyone.

I've been reading about boson mass and speed for a couple of hours but I can't seem to find answers.

- What is the speed of the W boson during beta decay? If it has a huge mass shouldn't it be a lot slower than leptons?

- I assume the electron and antineutrino are travelling close to the speed of light when emitted?

- the mass of the W boson is around 80GeV, the electron and antineutrino have masses of around 500KeV. Where does all the extra mass/energy go? Do they have a greater speed?

many thanks for reading this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The W boson in beta decay is a virtual particle, which does not need to fullfil the criteria:

[tex] E^2 = p^2 + m^2 [/tex]

One can think of this as virtual particles VIOLOATE this law, during a small interwall, such small time interval so that [tex] \Delta E \Delta t > \hbar / 2 [/tex]

That is the answer to your question, the W boson in beta decay is a virtual particle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?