Boundary Element Method Output Files Conversion

In summary, the speaker has completed their analysis in BEM and has obtained velocity potential values in the format of 37954305E-04, +1.58625295E-06, +2.10275811E-07, etc. They also have real, imaginary, and absolute scattering values in this form. They are new to the method and from a different major, so they have a question about the format and how to convert it to calculate the sound pressure equation. The format is equal to a number multiplied by 10 to the power of the number after the "E". Software designed to read scientific data files can automatically read and write this format.
altgenn
Hi there,

I have completed my analysis in BEM. The results gives me velocity potential in form of

37954305E-04 +1.58625295E-06 +2.10275811E-07 +...

I have real scattering values, imaginary and absolute scattering values in this form.

I am new to the method and from a different major, so my question may look silly.
In order to calculate the sound pressure, I have p=(rho)*(velocity potential) equation. (rho) is the density of the medium.

I do not know the format 0.0000E+00. What is it equal to? How may I convert it to calculate the equation?

Thanks.

A.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is the standard format for data where you want a fixed number of significant figures, but the numbers have a wide range.

+1.58625295E-06 means +1.58625295 x 10^-6

Software that is mean to read "scientific" data files will read and write this format automatically. Check out E, F, and G formats in Fortran, %e, %f and %g formats in C, and similar things in other languages.

Thank you very much.

What is Boundary Element Method (BEM) and how does it work?

BEM is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations in engineering and science. It divides the solution domain into two regions: the boundary and the interior. The boundary conditions are defined on the boundary, and the interior solution is calculated using the boundary values.

What are BEM output files and why do we need to convert them?

BEM output files contain the results of the boundary element method calculation, such as nodal displacements, stresses, and strains. These files may need to be converted to a different format for compatibility with other software or for visualization purposes.

What are the common file formats used for BEM output files?

The most common file formats used for BEM output files are CSV, VTK, and Tecplot. CSV files are simple text files that can be easily opened and manipulated in spreadsheet programs. VTK is a popular format for 3D data and is used for visualization and data processing. Tecplot is a software for visualizing and analyzing large datasets.

What are the steps involved in converting BEM output files?

The first step is to determine the file format of the BEM output files. Then, you need to identify the desired output format and the necessary conversion tools. Next, you can use a conversion tool or a programming language to convert the files. Finally, you can check the converted files for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments.

Are there any challenges or limitations to converting BEM output files?

One challenge in converting BEM output files is ensuring the accuracy of the converted data. This requires careful selection of the conversion tools and thorough testing of the converted files. Additionally, some file formats may not support all the data types and structures of BEM output files, which can result in data loss or distortion during conversion.