1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Bounded Curves

1. Aug 3, 2016 #1
    It is well known that a curve in ##\mathbb{R}^3## is uniquely (up to a position in the space) defined by its curvature ##\kappa(s)## and torsion ##\tau(s)##, here ##s## is the arc-length parameter. We will consider ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)\in C[0,\infty)##

Thus a natural problem arises: to restore features of the curve from given functions ##\kappa(s),\tau(s)##. This is not a simple problem: the Frenet-Serret equations are not in general integrable explicitly.

A simplest property of the curve is boundedness. We shall say that a curve is bounded iff its radius-vector is bounded: $$\sup_{s\ge 0}|\boldsymbol r(s)|<\infty.$$

For example, if a function ##\kappa(s)/\tau(s)## is monotone and
    $$\lim_{s\to\infty}\frac{\kappa(s)}{s\cdot\tau(s)}=0$$ then the curve is unbounded. This is an almost trivial fact, it follows from some another almost trivial theorem, for details see http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/16/16-63.pdf

The comments are welcome. Particularly is there a geometrical interpretation of brought above proposition

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2016 #2
    I find it amazing. But will you explain me the restore features of curve. Actually I am going to read about curves in detail but I need little guidance. Can you name some of the books which I can buy.

4. Aug 4, 2016 #3
    I was saying that why you have used word bounded curves. Will you tell me its precise meaning.

5. Aug 4, 2016 #4
    Be more specific what you are saying

6. Aug 4, 2016 #5
    I have already done that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted