Is this operator bounded or unbounded?

In summary, the conversation discusses an operator that does not follow the condition for boundedness, which involves the norm of the operator and a real number in its domain. However, the operator is also not unbounded because it produces results with complex values, which makes it difficult to determine its bounded/unbounded state. The conversation also mentions an operator B = (h/i d/dx - g) with a constant g, and attempts to solve its norm but ends up with an invalid inequality. The confusion arises from not distinguishing between the variable x and the vector x in a Hilbert space. It is unclear how to evaluate the operator B and determine its bounded/unbounded state or its relationship to the Schwarz inequality.
SeM
Hi, I have an operator which does not obey the following condition for boundedness:

\begin{equation*}
||H\ x|| \leqslant c||x||\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ c \in \mathscr{D}
\end{equation*}

where c is a real number in the Domain D of the operator H.

However, this operator is also not really unbounded, because if H was unbounded, it would give an incorrect inequality, examplewise: if an bounded operator gives a valid inequality (i.e x < cx), a unbounded operator gives an invalid inequality (i.e x > cx). This operator however gives a result with complex values!

What can one say about its bounded/unbounded state then?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
SeM said:
Hi, I have an operator which does not obey the following condition for boundedness:

\begin{equation*}
\end{equation*}

##c## is not in the domain of ##H##, as ##c## is just a number. ##x## is in the domain of ##H##.

What does "domain" mean?

SeM said:
However, this operator is also not really unbounded, because if H was unbounded, it would give an incorrect inequality, examplewise: if an bounded operator gives a valid inequality (i.e x < cx), a unbounded operator gives an invalid inequality (i.e x > cx). This operator however gives a result with complex values!

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you saying that ##c## is complex number that is not real. If so, how can you even talk about inequalities? The set of complex numbers does not possesses a total order. Also, if ##x## is an element of a Hilbert space, the Hilbert space probably does possesses a total order. ##x > cx## has no meaning.

Note the the definition of boundedness of operators involves norms of elements of Hilbert spaces, and the norm ##||x||##of Hilbert space element ##x## is a real number.

What is your particular operator?

George Jones said:
##c## is not in the domain of ##H##, as ##c## is just a number. ##x## is in the domain of ##H##.

What does "domain" mean?

Hi George, its the Kreyszig text I am looking at. p 524. He writes it precisely as so "the domain D(T) lies in a complex Hilbert space."

George Jones said:
I have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you saying that ##c## is complex number that is not real. If so, how can you even talk about inequalities? The set of complex numbers does not possesses a total order. Also, if ##x## is an element of a Hilbert space, the Hilbert space probably does possesses a total order. ##x > cx## has no meaning.

Note the the definition of boundedness of operators involves norms of elements of Hilbert spaces, and the norm ##||x||##of Hilbert space element ##x## is a real number.

What is your particular operator?

Yes, c is a complex number, and therefore I am wondering what to do with this operator in terms of using the definition of boundedness given by Kreyszig on p. 524?

The operator B = (h/i d/dx - g) , where g is a constant. If you try to solve the norm:

\begin{equation}
||Bx|| =\big( (h/i dx/dx - gx)^2\big)^{(1/2)}
\end{equation}

you get

\begin{equation}
||Bx|| = (h/i - gx)
\end{equation}and when setting up the inequality as given in definition given in the original post, you get:\begin{equation}
||Bx|| x \geqslant - ic/\gamma\hbar x
\end{equation}

I see what you mean about that this does not make any sense. So how does one prove if an operator as B is bounded or not, if the condition given in the original posting is not valid?

George Jones said:
Are you saying that ##c## is complex number that is not real. If so, how can you even talk about inequalities?

Indeed, this is a bigger problem than I thought. Can one evaluate only the Real part in an inequality? i.e. When doing the same thing with this operator with the Schwarz inequality, the same thing happens there, complex numbers appear in the norms. How can one then determine if such an operator (B):1. Is bounded or not.
2. Follows the Schwarz inequality for the position operator or not.

?

Thanks!

SeM said:

\begin{equation*}
\end{equation*}

Well, that is not what the text say. It says ##c## is a real number and that the inequality holds for all ##x\in \mathscr{D}(H)##.

SeM said:
The operator B = (h/i d/dx - g) , where g is a constant. If you try to solve the norm:

\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

you get

\begin{equation}
||Bx|| = (h/i - gx)
\end{equation}and when setting up the inequality as given in definition given in the original post, you get:\begin{equation}
||Bx|| x \geqslant - ic/\gamma\hbar x
\end{equation}

I see what you mean about that this does not make any sense. So how does one prove if an operator as B is bounded or not, if the condition given in the original posting is not valid?

Here you are confusing yourself with the notations. The ##x## stands for the variable of the functions, which are the vectors in your Hilbert space, and the vector itself. Instead of ##||Bx||## write ##||Bf(x)||##.

Likes George Jones and SeM
martinbn said:
Here you are confusing yourself with the notations. The ##x## stands for the variable of the functions, which are the vectors in your Hilbert space, and the vector itself. Instead of ##||Bx||## write ##||Bf(x)||##.

That is fine, I treated it as a variable when I was trying to solve the norm ||Bx|| , however there is a typo above: (6) is really:

\begin{equation}
x \geqslant - ic/\gamma\hbar x
\end{equation}, which as was said by George Jones in another thread, makes no sense. So I am not able to calculate the norm of the operator B on the variable x, and can therefore not use any of the relations (Schwarz inequality or the condition for boundedness given in the original post above) on this operator B = (ihd/dx -g).

Is there a way to determine if B is bounded/unbounded and or dependent on the position and momentum operators?

Thanks!

SeM said:

\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

you get

\begin{equation}
||Bx|| = (h/i - gx)
\end{equation}

This is not correct.

SeM said:
which as was said by George Jones in another thread, makes no sense.

I didn't say this in another thread, I said it in this thread.

Likes SeM
George Jones said:
This is not correct.
I didn't say this in another thread, I said it in this thread.
Thanks, haha, sorry, many threads today.

Can you give me comment on how to determine the boundedness of this operator? George, I am looking for a good book on operator mathematics, and given that I like Kreyszig and Bohm (physics), is there a book written on that topic which is similar to this authors text in "well-readness"?

@SeM , it is somewhat hard to tell, but I do not think that you have addressed @martinbn 's concern.

What does "domain" mean? Not just in Kreyszig, but as a general concept.

Likes SeM
SeM said:
The group of the entire set of elements in a given space.

Think back to high school. What did "domain" mean in high school maths?

Also be careful with your terms. By "group", I think that you mean "collection". "group" means something specific in abstract algebra.

Likes SeM
George Jones said:
Think back to high school. What did "domain" mean in high school maths?

Also be careful with your terms. By "group", I think that you mean "collection". "group" means something specific in abstract algebra.
Sorry, I intended a set, or a collection, but also a set is something, so your word collection is the best.

I didnt learn domain in High school but going back to the first time I heard it, I recalll a geometrical space that was confined by a fence , or better, a boundary.

SeM said:
I didnt learn domain in High school

Did you see notation like
$$f : A \rightarrow B$$
in high school or early university? If so, what does this mean?

Likes SeM
George Jones said:
No, I haven't. From what I have learned SOLELY on physicsforum, I take that it means that some operator f is transforming a function from a space A to a space B.

George Jones said:

SeM said:
No, I haven't.

If you have not seen this, I have to ask: what mathematics courses have you taken in school?

George Jones said:
If you have not seen this, I have to ask: what mathematics courses have you taken in school?
Norrway is a country that hates Mathematics, that is the reason.

I have taken engineering mathematics at graduate level, 2 years, then I started an Advanced Mathematics course during my PhD 2 years ago, which I enjoyed a lot and got 5 out of 6 on, by working from home and taking the exam at the Uppsala University in sweden, where I take my PhD nowadays. All this interest in math is for own stuff.

1. What is a bounded operator?

A bounded operator is a type of linear operator in functional analysis that maps elements from one normed vector space to another. It is called "bounded" because it preserves the size of vectors, meaning that the magnitude of the output cannot be larger than the magnitude of the input.

2. How is a bounded operator different from an unbounded operator?

Unlike a bounded operator, an unbounded operator is not limited in the size of the output it can produce. This means that the magnitude of the output can be larger than the magnitude of the input. Unbounded operators are often used in mathematical models to describe systems with infinite degrees of freedom.

3. What are some examples of bounded operators?

Some common examples of bounded operators include the identity operator, which maps every vector to itself, and the zero operator, which maps every vector to zero. Other examples include differentiation and integration operators in calculus, and the Fourier transform operator in signal processing.

4. How are bounded operators used in physics?

In physics, bounded operators are used to describe the behavior of physical systems. For example, in quantum mechanics, operators are used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. Bounded operators are also used in the study of differential equations, which are used to model physical systems.

5. What is the importance of bounded operators in mathematics?

Bounded operators are important in mathematics because they provide a way to mathematically describe and analyze linear transformations between vector spaces. They are also used in the study of functional analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with spaces of functions and their properties.