1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bowling Ball Return

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bowling ball encounters a h = 0.662 m vertical rise on the way back to the ball rack, as the figure below illustrates.

Ignore frictional losses and assume that the mass of the ball is distributed uniformly. The translational speed of the ball is 3.70 m/s at the bottom of the rise. Find the translational speed at the top.

2. Relevant equations

KE= 1/2mv^2

U=mgh

Conservation of energy and momentum?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried basic conservation of energy but that didn't really work out. I'm not sure where to start on this one since it doesn't give the mass of the ball. Though that probably cancels out anyway. When I set KE = U the answer is incorrect. I'm not sure on what else I can do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

The initial kinetic energy is not equal to the change in potential energy. The initial energy is equal to the change in potential energy plus the final kinetic energy.
    (KE + U)_1 = (KE + U)_2

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    So:

1/2mvi2=mgh + 1/2mvf2?

When I plug in the values for this the answer is incorrect as well.

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

minger

Science Advisor

The answer is not 0.837 m/s?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook