Understanding Acceleration on a Moving Incline

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass m sliding on a frictionless incline of 30 degrees with mass m and no friction with the ground. The acceleration of the block in the x direction is determined by the x component of the normal force, while its acceleration in the y direction is determined by gravity and the y component of the normal force. The incline will begin moving along the horizontal axis as the block slides down. The force acting on the incline in the x direction is the force of the block on the surface of the incline times cos 60 degrees, with no net force in the y direction. However, the normal force does not only react to the component of gravity in the direction of the incline,
premitive1
"a block of mass m is sliding on a frictionless incline of 30 degrees. this incline has mass m and it has no friction with the ground. compute the acceleration for both objects."

I'm having some conceptual trouble with this problem as it's been a while since my physics course and I've had little practice since.

as the block slides down the incline the incline will begin moving along the horizontal axis.
supposing the block and incline are on the left, the motion of the incline will be in the positive x direction.

this is what I've tried so far

the force on the incline in the x direction will be the force of the box on the surface of the incline times cos 60 degrees. there is no net force in the y direction on the incline.

supposing I understood the above correctly, I'm at a loss concerning where to go next.
forces acting on the box relative to the incline include gravity and a normal force perpendicular to the incline. the force acting in the x direction on the box is then only the x component of the normal force.
is the acceleration of the box in the x direction the result of the x component of the normal force and the acceleration of the incline in the positive y direction?
and its acceleration in the y direction the result of gravity and the y component of the normal force?

I think that's the idea, what may have been confusing me before is that I was including a force acting on the box perpendicular to the surface causing the normal force, but I think now that the normal force only reacts to the component of gravity in the direction of the incline?
a worked out solution would be great, and any comments on my confusions also appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
also, I've looked through similar questions asked on the forum and none of them are quite similar to this, although I think they have helped me conceptualize the situation a bit better.

premitive1 said:
the force on the incline in the x direction will be the force of the box on the surface of the incline times cos 60 degrees. there is no net force in the y direction on the incline.

This is correct!

premitive1 said:
forces acting on the box relative to the incline include gravity and a normal force perpendicular to the incline. the force acting in the x direction on the box is then only the x component of the normal force.

That is also correct!

premitive1 said:
is the acceleration of the box in the x direction the result of the x component of the normal force and the acceleration of the incline in the positive y direction?

Why would that be? Please make this line more clear. Show the logic behind it.

premitive1 said:
its acceleration in the y direction the result of gravity and the y component of the normal force?

This is correct!

premitive1 said:
I think that's the idea, what may have been confusing me before is that I was including a force acting on the box perpendicular to the surface causing the normal force, but I think now that the normal force only reacts to the component of gravity in the direction of the incline?

This is not correct. Please make yourself more clear and attach an FBD.

What is a "box on moving incline" experiment?

A "box on moving incline" experiment involves placing a box on an inclined surface and moving the surface to simulate different levels of friction.

What is the purpose of a "box on moving incline" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the relationship between the angle of incline and the frictional force acting on the box.

What are the variables in a "box on moving incline" experiment?

The independent variable is the angle of incline, while the dependent variable is the frictional force acting on the box. Other variables to consider include the mass of the box, the surface material of the incline, and the speed of movement.

How is the frictional force measured in a "box on moving incline" experiment?

The frictional force can be measured using a force sensor or a spring scale attached to the box. The reading on the scale will indicate the amount of force required to keep the box from sliding down the incline.

What are some real-life applications of the "box on moving incline" experiment?

This experiment can help scientists and engineers better understand the factors that affect friction and how it can be minimized or maximized. It can also be used in industries such as transportation and construction to improve the design and efficiency of moving objects on inclined surfaces.