Need help with bra-ket algebra? Check out these resources!

In summary, the person is seeking help with understanding bra-ket algebra and is asking for problems or tutorial resources for assistance. They are also directed to a post about the Riesz representation theorem for further information.
mess1n
Hey physicists! I'm having trouble getting my head around bra-ket algebra and was wondering if anyone knows any problems/worked solutions to help me understand it. Either that or some tutorial resources.

Thanks,
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably read this to get started. Not sure where you should look for worked out examples. Perhaps in Sakurai? You can also ask about stuff you're having difficulties with here.

Edit: There's a link in that post to a thread about the Riesz representation theorem. I don't know if you care about that stuff at all, but just in case someone does, this post is better than the one I linked to.

Last edited:

1. What is "Bra-ket" notation in algebra?

Bra-ket notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. The "bra" and "ket" symbols (< > and | >) are used to represent vectors and their dual vectors, respectively. This notation is useful for simplifying complex algebraic expressions in quantum mechanics.

2. How do you perform addition and subtraction with bra-ket notation?

In bra-ket notation, addition and subtraction are performed similarly to regular algebra. To add or subtract two bra-ket expressions, you simply add or subtract the corresponding coefficients and keep the same ket or bra symbol. For example, < |a> + < |b> = < |a + b> and < |a> - < |b> = < |a - b>.

3. What is the difference between a bra and a ket vector?

A bra vector is represented by the symbol < > and is the dual vector of a ket vector, represented by the symbol | >. In other words, a bra vector is a row vector while a ket vector is a column vector. This distinction is important in certain algebraic operations in quantum mechanics.

4. How do you perform multiplication with bra-ket notation?

In bra-ket notation, multiplication is performed using the inner product or dot product, denoted by < , >. To multiply a bra vector < |a> with a ket vector |b>, you would take the inner product < |a> < , > |b> = . This operation combines the two vectors into a scalar value.

5. What is the significance of the "bra-ket" terminology?

The terms "bra" and "ket" originated from the German words "bracket" and "ketten", which mean "bracket" and "chain" respectively. This terminology was chosen to represent the dual nature of the bra and ket vectors, as well as their relationship in algebraic operations. The bracket symbol < > also resembles the notation used in linear algebra for representing vectors.