Bragg diffraction / Solid state physics

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the miller indices and lattice constant in a cubic crystalline material using the equation nλ=2dsin(θ). The speaker suggests substituting values to find the inter particle spacing and using 1 for the length of the side of the cubic cell. They also ask for alternative methods of solving the miller indices and determining the lattice constant.
vorcil

Homework Statement

2a93055.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] n\lambda = 2dsin(\theta) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

solving for d I get
[tex]\frac{n*\lambda}{2*sin*(\theta)} = d [/tex]

substituting in the first value 50.85 to solve for d, with n=1
I get d= 1.754*10^-10m

How do I solve the miller indices from the inter particle spacing?

I do not know a, the length of the side of a cubic cell of the crystal
can I just use 1 for that?

[tex] d= \frac{{n*a}{h^2+k^2+l^2}} [/tex]

h k l being the indices, all of which are integers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do i determine the lattice constant a?

I know it's a cubic crystalline material
and I know the diffraction angles but how do i figure a out!

Are there alternative methods to solving the miller indices?

Related to Bragg diffraction / Solid state physics

What is Bragg diffraction?

Bragg diffraction is a phenomenon in which X-rays or other types of radiation are scattered by a crystalline solid, resulting in a distinctive pattern of diffraction peaks. This process can be used to determine the structure of a crystal and to study its properties.

How does Bragg diffraction work?

Bragg diffraction works by using X-rays or other types of radiation to interact with the atoms in a crystal. As the radiation passes through the crystal, it is scattered in different directions by the atoms. This scattering produces a diffraction pattern that can be analyzed to reveal information about the crystal's structure.

What is the Bragg equation?

The Bragg equation, also known as the Bragg law, describes the relationship between the angle of incidence of radiation on a crystal and the resulting diffraction pattern. It is given by: nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the radiation, d is the spacing between crystal planes, and θ is the angle of incidence.

How is Bragg diffraction used in solid state physics?

Bragg diffraction is a powerful tool in solid state physics, as it allows researchers to study the structure and properties of crystals. It is often used to determine the atomic and molecular structures of materials, as well as their electronic and magnetic properties. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of materials and developing new technologies.

What are some real-world applications of Bragg diffraction?

Bragg diffraction has a wide range of real-world applications, including in the fields of material science, pharmaceuticals, and geology. It is used to analyze the composition and structure of materials, such as determining the purity of pharmaceutical compounds or identifying minerals in rocks. It is also used in X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of proteins and other biological molecules, which is important for drug development and understanding biological processes.