Bragg Scattering angle problem

Broglie wavelength. So, n(lambda/2) = L Therefore, lambda = 2L/n In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bragg's formula to determine the Bragg scattering angle for a beam of thermal neutrons of specific energy. It is mentioned that other energies may also be present in the scattered beams. Additionally, the concept of de Broglie standing waves and their permitted wavelengths in a confined space is also discussed. It is explained that the wavelength must be equal to 2L/n where n is an integer due to the presence of nodes at the walls.
tan90
A beam of thermal neutrons emerges from a nuclear reactor and is incident on a crystal. The beam is Bragg scattered from crystal whose scattering planes are separated by 0.247 nm. From the continuous energy spectrum of the beam we wish to select neutrons of energy 0.0105 eV. Find the Bragg scattering angle that results in a scattered beam of this energy. Will other energies also be present in the scattered beams?

Physics news on Phys.org
so what i did was i have d =0.247 nm and K = 0.0105 eV. I used the equation 2dsin(theta) = hc/ sqrt( 2(mc^2) K). and then I got theta = 34.4 degrees. So, it asks if other energies will also be present in the scattered beams and I am not quite sure about that but my guess would be yes. would anyone please help me understand this?

Bragg's formula is
2*d*sin(theta)=n*lambda

Keeping the angle fixed, it will be satisfied by various wavelengths, corresponding to various values of n.
Your value is for n=1 but you can have higher order reflections of other wavelengths (that will be different energies for neutrons)

thanks a lot.
i was thinking the same but didn't know how to express it.

I have another question. So, an electron bounces elastically back and forth in one dimension between two walls that are L apart. Assuming that the electron is represented by a de Broglie standing wave with a node at each wall, show that the permitted de Broglie wavelengths are lambda = 2L/n where n =1,2,3...
What I don't understand here is why is lambda = 2L/n but not L/n ?
I would really appreciate if anyone would help me with this.

If you have nodes at the walls, you need to fit an integer number of half-wavelengths between the walls. The distance between two nodes is wavelength/2.
L=n (lambda/d)

1. What is the Bragg Scattering angle problem?

The Bragg Scattering angle problem is a phenomenon in X-ray crystallography where a beam of X-rays is scattered by a crystal lattice at a specific angle known as the Bragg angle. This angle is determined by the distance between the crystal planes and the wavelength of the X-rays.

2. How is the Bragg angle calculated?

The Bragg angle is calculated using the Bragg equation: nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the X-rays, d is the distance between crystal planes, and θ is the Bragg angle.

3. What is the significance of the Bragg angle in X-ray crystallography?

The Bragg angle is significant because it allows scientists to determine the structure of crystals by measuring the angle at which X-rays are scattered. This information can be used to determine the arrangement of atoms within the crystal lattice.

4. How is the Bragg angle related to the crystal lattice spacing?

The Bragg angle is inversely proportional to the crystal lattice spacing. This means that as the spacing between crystal planes increases, the Bragg angle decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some applications of the Bragg Scattering angle problem?

The Bragg Scattering angle problem has many applications in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biochemistry. It is commonly used in X-ray diffraction techniques to determine the structure and composition of crystals, including proteins, minerals, and pharmaceuticals.