The Oxygen Content of Water: Can Humans Breathe Underwater?

• Thread starter nibbel11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of breathing oxygen from water through instant electrolysis. It is debated whether this would be an effective method due to the high energy consumption. The video referenced also mentions the use of oxygen dissolved in water for breathing, rather than the oxygen atoms contained in the water molecule. However, further research is needed to confirm the feasibility of this concept.
nibbel11
i found a vid on youtube of a guy explaining about what would happen if we could breath the oxygen out of the water, and his conclusion was that there was to little oxygen.
and i also took a look at it, but i in my research it was perfectly possible. i would like if you take a look and maybe confirm my stuff or say what i forgot

air is made out of 20% oxygen
to get water to oxygen:
2H2O - 2H2+O2
so for every 2 volumes of water is 33% oxygen
when oxygen levels drop to 12% it is vatal
so does this mean if we were able to do instant electrolysis doesn't that mean we could breath in water not taking in any other facts.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
nibbel11 said:
i found a vid on youtube of a guy
This is not a valid reference for a thread start. How are we supposed to find the explicit video you refer to?

nibbel11 said:
if we were able to do instant electrolysis
Where would you get the energy from? The reason you breathe is to be able to burn organic compounds to get energy. Doing the electrolysis would spend way too much energy for it to be effective. Breathing from water you would need to breathe the dissolved O2, not perform electrolysis with the water.

nibbel11 said:
i found a vid on youtube of a guy explaining about what would happen if we could breath the oxygen out of the water, and his conclusion was that there was to little oxygen.
and i also took a look at it, but i in my research it was perfectly possible. i would like if you take a look and maybe confirm my stuff or say what i forgot
Probably he was referring to the oxygen dissolved in water and not to the oxygen atoms contained in the water molecule.
Fish use the oxygen dissolved in water for "breathing".

Orodruin said:
This is not a valid reference for a thread start. How are we supposed to find the explicit video you refer to?

Youtube? :biggrin:

The video states that it would take two hoverboard batteries to run the device for a whole minute.

Fervent Freyja said:
Youtube? :biggrin:
That we can find it is besides the point. It is the OP's task to provide the reference, not ours to go looking for it.

Orodruin said:
That we can find it is besides the point. It is the OP's task to provide the reference, not ours to go looking for it.

Did you just bite me?

As I predicted. :devil:

1. Can humans breathe in water?

No, humans cannot breathe in water. Our respiratory system is designed to take in oxygen from the air, not water. If we try to breathe in water, it will enter our lungs and suffocate us.

2. Is it possible for any living creature to breathe in water?

Yes, there are some living creatures that can breathe in water. For example, fish have gills that extract oxygen from water, and some insects have adapted to breathe through their skin while submerged in water.

3. Can you train yourself to breathe in water?

No, it is not possible to train yourself to breathe in water. As humans, we do not have the necessary anatomical structures to extract oxygen from water like aquatic animals do.

4. What happens if you try to breathe in water?

If you try to breathe in water, it can lead to drowning. When water enters the lungs, it creates a barrier for oxygen to pass through, preventing us from getting the necessary amount of oxygen to survive.

5. Can you breathe in water with the help of technology?

There is currently no technology that allows humans to breathe in water. However, there are devices such as scuba gear and oxygen tanks that allow us to stay submerged in water for longer periods of time, but we still cannot breathe in the water itself.