Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breathing in water

1. Aug 7, 2016 #1
    i found a vid on youtube of a guy explaining about what would happen if we could breath the oxygen out of the water, and his conclusion was that there was to little oxygen.
    and i also took a look at it, but i in my research it was perfectly possible. i would like if you take a look and maybe confirm my stuff or say what i forgot

air is made out of 20% oxygen
    to get water to oxygen:
    2H2O - 2H2+O2
    so for every 2 volumes of water is 33% oxygen
    when oxygen levels drop to 12% it is vatal
    so does this mean if we were able to do instant electrolysis doesn't that mean we could breath in water not taking in any other facts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not a valid reference for a thread start. How are we supposed to find the explicit video you refer to?

Where would you get the energy from? The reason you breathe is to be able to burn organic compounds to get energy. Doing the electrolysis would spend way too much energy for it to be effective. Breathing from water you would need to breathe the dissolved O2, not perform electrolysis with the water.

4. Aug 9, 2016 #3
    Probably he was referring to the oxygen dissolved in water and not to the oxygen atoms contained in the water molecule.
    Fish use the oxygen dissolved in water for "breathing".

5. Aug 9, 2016 #4

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Youtube? :biggrin:

The video states that it would take two hoverboard batteries to run the device for a whole minute.

6. Aug 10, 2016 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That we can find it is besides the point. It is the OP's task to provide the reference, not ours to go looking for it.

7. Aug 10, 2016 #6

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Did you just bite me?

As I predicted. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted