Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brushed vs Brushless DC motor

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    Dear Sirs/Mdms,

I would like to find out how different is a brushed vs brushless dc motor in terms of size, weight and power .

I can find articles on the net regarding some comparisons between the 2 types. For example, a brushed is less efficient than a brushless motor.

But i cannot find info about :

1. Assuming a brushed and a brushless motor both are of the same size and weight,
    which is more powerful in terms of torque produced?

I suspect the brushed motor is less powerful as it is less efficient dues to contacts and frictional losses?

2. Between these 2 types of motor of same dimensions, does a brushed motor have any advantage over the brushless motor?

sincerely,
    Ramone

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    Hello ramone-
    One specific advantage a brushless permanent magnet dc motor with a Hall Effect sensor has over a brushed motor is being able to run as a torque motor, at very low or zero RPM, because in a brushed motor there is the danger of damaging the commutator.
    Bob S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook