Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bubbler in a Sealed Vessel

  1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    Good Morning everyone,

    I am working at an industrial urethane plant, and I am having some issues with mixing a release agent. The "RA" is distributed by a robot , and fed by a standard pressure pot. This chemical needs to be in constant suspension and our attempts at a propellor driven system have been hit or miss.

    A great solution would be to install a bubbler line into the chemical, however I have my doubts that it will do much of anything to mix the material properly.

    The tanks (20 liters) are pressurized to around 32 PSI , and are kept at 1/2 full. Our idea is to run a air line to the bottom of the tank and place a check valve, with assumed pressure around 20 PSI.

    Would there by sufficient turbulence in the mixture? or would the tank just maintain 32 PSI and not produce a lot of bubbles?

    What are your thoughts?

    Great forum and new resource for us the industrial applications!

  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Circulating pump , mixture out from bottom of tank , back into tank at top via a shower head . Could be continuous action but probably better to recirculate cup fulls of fluid at timed intervals .

    Reciprocating plunger sieve . A plate with big holes plunging into liquid and then back out again . Again could be continuous action but probably better to have single strokes at timed intervals .

    Bubbling air might work but it is generally a non prefered option . Usual result is a tank full of froth and there is always the possibility that entrained air will alter the properties of the mixture .
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  4. Jan 25, 2017 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Another thing that could work quite well would be a rotary version of the plunger above . A plate (on one side only of the drive axle) which almost touches the sides of the tank and with big holes in it . Drive maybe two turns clockwise followed by two turns anticlockwise (with a random starting position) at timed intervals .

    One type of industrial paint mixer works this way .

    nb : All systems mentioned would be arranged to be quite slow acting so as to provide gentle mixing rather than harsh agitation .
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted