Bubbles in Resin: How & Why They Rise to the Surface

• Thread starter Hobart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bubbles
In summary, the conversation discusses how bubbles of air trapped in resin during the mixing process are drawn to the surface by blowing onto it with a straw or by passing carbon dioxide over the surface. There is confusion as to how the bubbles are aware of the carbon dioxide's presence and why they are drawn to the surface. One person suggests that it may be due to buoyancy, but the other person explains that the resin is too thick for the bubbles to rise on their own. The use of carbon dioxide from a propane burner is a well-known technique recommended in the user's manual for Envirotex Lite binary polymer. There is interest in seeing a video demonstration of this technique.
Hobart
I've had several discussions relating to how bubbles of air trapped in resin during the mixing process are drawn to the surface by blowing onto the surface with a straw or by passing carbon dioxide from a propane burner over the surface. How do the bubbles of trapped air even know that the carbon dioxide is there and why are the drawn to the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds odd- why don't you think it's simply buoyancy?

The resin I'm thinking of is very thick, unless you blow carbon dioxide onto the surface the resin will set with the bubbles inside.

I don't see how blowing CO2 from a burner across the surface would bring out bubbles from within. Would be interesting to see a video if you have one?

Hey well neither do I, that's why I'm at the collective brain otherwise known as Physics Forum. The technique is well known and comes with the instructions for the resin so it's no strange oddity.

I know that the technique is recommended in the user's manual for Envirotex Lite binary polymer. I don't know what chemical reactions are involved, but I do know that it specifies CO2 as the catalyzing agent.

1. What causes bubbles to form in resin?

Bubbles in resin are typically caused by trapped air or gases that are released during the mixing and pouring process. The viscosity of the resin and the speed at which it is mixed can also contribute to the formation of bubbles.

2. How can I prevent bubbles from forming in my resin?

To prevent bubbles from forming in resin, make sure to mix the resin slowly and thoroughly. You can also try using a heat gun or torch to remove any bubbles that have formed before the resin cures. Additionally, using a resin with a low viscosity can help reduce the likelihood of bubbles.

3. How do bubbles rise to the surface of resin?

Bubbles in resin rise to the surface due to the difference in density between the resin and the air trapped within it. As the resin cures and hardens, the air bubbles become less buoyant and rise to the surface.

4. Can bubbles be removed from resin after it has cured?

Yes, bubbles can be removed from resin after it has cured by lightly sanding the surface and then applying a clear coat of resin. This will fill in any small bubbles and create a smooth, bubble-free finish.

5. Are bubbles in resin harmful?

No, bubbles in resin are not harmful. However, they can affect the overall appearance and quality of your resin project. It is important to take steps to prevent and remove bubbles to achieve the desired result.