Buddy List: What Does It Do? | Help & Troubleshooting

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the features of adding someone as a friend on a website. The only useful features are being able to see which friends are online and easily sending group private messages. Other than that, there are no other noticeable effects of adding someone as a friend.
zoobyshoe
I can't figure out what this does. I added someone thinking I'd get an e-mail every time they posted even in threads I wasn't susbscribed to, but nothing like that seems to happen. I can't determine that adding their name has had any effect whatever on anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only found two features of it. One is you can get a quick drop-down list of your buddies to see which ones are online. I don't find this terribly useful since you can find the same information from a quick scan of the list of members online on the main index page. The other thing that you can do from that drop-down menu is to check the names in the list to send PMs to all of them without having to first go to the PM page and type their names in. That's more helpful if you're PMing a bunch of your buddies at once.

Other than that, I haven't found any other features associated with it to make it particularly useful.

What is a Buddy List?

A Buddy List is a feature commonly found in instant messaging applications that allows users to create a list of their contacts or friends. This list typically displays the online status of each contact and allows for easy communication between users.

How do I add someone to my Buddy List?

The process for adding someone to your Buddy List may vary depending on the specific instant messaging application you are using. However, it typically involves searching for the person's username or email address and sending them a friend request. Once they accept the request, they will be added to your Buddy List.

Can I organize my Buddy List?

Yes, most instant messaging applications allow users to organize their Buddy List in various ways, such as creating groups or categories for different contacts. This can help users keep their list more organized and easily find specific contacts.

How can I see who is online on my Buddy List?

Your Buddy List will typically display a green dot or some other indicator next to the names of contacts who are currently online. This allows you to quickly see who is available to chat with.

Can I remove someone from my Buddy List?

Yes, you can usually remove someone from your Buddy List by right-clicking on their name and selecting the option to remove or delete them. This will remove them from your list, but you can always add them back at a later time if desired.