Deletion of unwanted subscriptions

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with receiving excessive email notifications from a forum. The user requests for the subscription feature to be shut down for their account, and suggestions are given on how to change the subscription settings. It is mentioned that the user may have not properly saved their changes before.
Danger
Gold Member
I didn't actually want to put this as a complaint, but the options are limited.
This is probably just because I can't understand the owner's manual of this new format. Ever since it took effect, I've had an absolutely obscene amount of e-mails from PF telling me that someone has responded to a thread that I've subscribed to. I have not subscribed to any threads and have actively unsubscribed every one that popped up. Since I can't figure out how to do it myself, will someone on staff please shut down the subscription feature for my account? If I ever want it to work, which is extremely unlikely, I'll contact someone with a request for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I didn't actually want to put this as a complaint, but the options are limited.
This is probably just because I can't understand the owner's manual of this new format. Ever since it took effect, I've had an absolutely obscene amount of e-mails from PF telling me that someone has responded to a thread that I've subscribed to. I have not subscribed to any threads and have actively unsubscribed every one that popped up. Since I can't figure out how to do it myself, will someone on staff please shut down the subscription feature for my account? If I ever want it to work, which is extremely unlikely, I'll contact someone with a request for it.

Have you looked in your Profile settings for the subscription options? That's the place to make the change so it affects your whole account and not just one thread...

If you change the Subscription Mode to "Subscribe with no notification", then you can still do searches to see the threads you've posted in, but you won't get any notifications of new posts.

Changing the subscription setting in the option does not change the subscription for older threads, it just helps for new subscriptions.
You can change old subscriptions https://www.physicsforums.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription in chunks of ~50 (Notification: "None", or remove them completely if you like), just use the checkbox in the table head. You can even remove ALL subscriptions at once, but then you'll lose the option to keep track of those threads in the https://www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php .

I have not subscribed to any threads
By default, you do this by posting in threads. Can be changed in the settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'll check that out. Thanks, guys.
I thought that I had done that thing through the profile page, but maybe it didn't register properly. (I didn't click on the subscribe without notification option because I didn't want to subscribe at all.)

edit: Okay, I took another shot at it. I think that I might have figured out why it didn't work before. There's a chance that I hit the back arrow rather than the title for my next destination after selecting "do not subscribe". Would that have kept it from being registered?

Last edited:
If you subscribe without notification, you can use "quick links --> subscribed threads" to get a list. The ones with new replies will be at the top, and in bold. It's a great way to see if someone has posted in a thread where you've been active before, and the best part is, you only get this information if you ask for it (by choosing "subscribed threads" on the "quick links" menu).

Danger said:
Would that have kept it from being registered?

It might... also, did you scroll all the way down and click "Save Changes"?

OCR

OCR said:
did you scroll all the way down and click "Save Changes"?
Uh oh... :uhh:

I didn't even see that.
I'd best get back over there and do it again.

What is the purpose of deleting unwanted subscriptions?

The purpose of deleting unwanted subscriptions is to declutter your inbox and reduce the amount of unwanted emails that you receive. This can help improve your productivity and make it easier to find important emails.

How do I identify unwanted subscriptions?

Unwanted subscriptions can be identified by looking at the sender's email address, subject line, and the content of the email. They often come from unfamiliar senders or contain irrelevant or spammy content.

Will deleting a subscription prevent me from receiving future emails from that sender?

Deleting a subscription will not automatically prevent you from receiving future emails from that sender. You may need to unsubscribe from their mailing list or mark their emails as spam to stop receiving them.

Is it safe to click on the unsubscribe link in unwanted subscription emails?

In most cases, it is safe to click on the unsubscribe link in unwanted subscription emails. However, it is always a good idea to double check the sender's email address and the legitimacy of the email before clicking on any links.

How often should I delete unwanted subscriptions?

This depends on your personal preference and the amount of unwanted emails you receive. Some people may choose to delete unwanted subscriptions on a weekly or monthly basis, while others may do it more frequently. It is important to regularly review and clean out your inbox to keep it organized.