1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buffons needle variation

1. Dec 20, 2006 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

In the "buffons needle" riddle you have a paper with horizontal lines in it all 1 unit apart and you drop a needle 1 unit long - you have to calculate the chance that the needle will hit a line. but i remembered the riddle wrong so instead i tried to solve the same question with both horizontal and vertical lines (graph paper). all of the cells are 1X1 unit. i got that the chance of hitting a line is:
    3/pi which is about 95%
    is that right?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I get the same answer. Also, note the result proves pi>3, and since it's obviously pretty likely the needle will hit a line, it shows pi is pretty close to 3. Maybe you can get other approximations for pi using a similar method, which is ironic considering the point of the original problem was to empirically approximate pi.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  4. Dec 21, 2006 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I wrote a program that simulates a needle falling 10000000 times and counts the times that it hits a line. using that i got that
    3/pi = 0.95521 or pi = 3.14067 - ok but i guess that this method of calculating pi doesn't converge very fast.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook