Bug walking around the perimeter of a lazy susan (hypothetical)

In summary, the bug's internal energy is not contributing to its change in momentum, so there is no sum of change in momentum and the lazy susan will continue to rotate clockwise.
crudux_cruo
Given a bug that's walking counterclockwise around on the surface of a lazy susan (which itself is sitting on frictionless bearings), wouldn't the the friction between the bug and the lazy susan (which is needed to be able to walk) apply torque (no matter how negligible) that accelerates the lazy susan clockwise?

I ask because I am having trouble understanding how a system like that is truly isolated and angular momentum conserved, but I'm probably overthinking it.

The bug's internal energy here is just confusing me. If I write out a hypothetical where the bug speeds up, do I still consider the chemical potential energy needed to accelerate the bug as internal?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alice keeps at rest in a IFR because motion of frictionless bearing does not affect her.
I wonder how bug walks on the frictionless bearing.

anuttarasammyak said:
I wonder how bug walks on the frictionless bearing.
Bug is on lazy susan, lazy susan is on the bearings.
For added context, this is a lazy susan (a rotating tray, or turntable)
turntable.jpeg

EDIT:

The torque from friction on the bug is the same as the torque from friction on the table, which would have been obvious earlier if I thought about them for more than five seconds and realized they were third law pairs internal to a system. So assuming I am correct in my line of thought, the sum of the change in momentum of the system would be zero.

This seems pretty obvious since internal forces cannot change the momentum of a system, so I think I just need to work on my understanding of internal energy and chemical potential energy (like the gas in a car, or muscular contractions) as they relate to a system.

Just leaving this edit for posterity, in the event someone thinks they spot my misconception(s) here.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is the purpose of studying a bug walking around the perimeter of a lazy susan?

The purpose of this study would be to observe the behavior and movement patterns of the bug on a rotating surface. This could provide insights into how insects navigate and adapt to changing environments.

2. How would the rotation of the lazy susan affect the bug's movement?

The rotation of the lazy susan could potentially impact the bug's movement by altering its direction and speed. It may also have to adjust its movements to maintain balance on the rotating surface.

3. What factors could influence the bug's behavior on the lazy susan?

Some potential factors that could influence the bug's behavior could include the type of bug, the surface of the lazy susan, the speed of rotation, and any external stimuli such as light or sound.

4. Could this study have real-world applications?

Yes, this study could have real-world applications in fields such as robotics and engineering. By understanding how bugs navigate on a rotating surface, we could potentially improve the design and functionality of robots or other mechanical devices.

5. What are some limitations of this hypothetical study?

Some limitations of this study could include the controlled environment of the lazy susan, which may not accurately reflect the bug's behavior in its natural habitat. Additionally, the results may vary depending on the specific bug species used in the study.