What hardware is needed to build a device that connects to a TV?

  • Thread starter Thread starter salman213
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hardware
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
salman213
Messages
301
Reaction score
1
I am interested on working on a small home project. I want to build a device that will connect to a TV (through s-video or any video output).

I was just thinking about it and was wondering what hardware would be required to do this?

I am just a beginner but I want to learn more.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You haven't told us what the intended result is. If you want me to give you a technical (and smart-alecky) answer based on the information you have put forth then I will tell you to go buy an S-video connector, solder a wire onto it and plug it into your TV. You have just built a device that plugs into your TV. It does nothing, but was that a requirement?
 
Sorry for the vague post, but I am having trouble asking my question. Not sure how to ask it due to my lack of knowledge.

Okay, so, If I open a dvd player or receiver or any box, I am guessing there is a video card which connects to the tv (the video card has the outputs like s-video etc.). Where does the input signal to the video card come from?

For example, to begin if I make an image on paint, what hardware would I need to make a device to output that image on a tv set.
 
If your computer's video card has an S-Video output, you can make a S-Video to Composite Video adapter as shown in this article:

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

The composite input on your TV (if it has one) would normally be a yellow RCA socket.

If your TV doesn't have one of these, but you have a video tape recorder connected to it, this will certainly have a composite video input and you could use that to view, or even record, your computer output.

The resolution of an analog TV set is usually a lot lower than that of a computer monitor, so you might find it worth while to use reduced resolution on the computer and avoid fine detail in your drawings.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
salman213 said:
Okay, so, If I open a dvd player or receiver or any box, I am guessing there is a video card which connects to the tv (the video card has the outputs like s-video etc.). Where does the input signal to the video card come from?
Depends on the device, but for a modern DVD player, it's basically just a simplified computer, with all the major parts a computer has.
For example, to begin if I make an image on paint, what hardware would I need to make a device to output that image on a tv set.
You're still not making much sense. "Paint" is a piece of software on a computer. Most today already have TV outputs. It almost sounds like you're saying you want to build a computer from scratch.
 
russ_watters said:
You're still not making much sense. "Paint" is a piece of software on a computer. Most today already have TV outputs. It almost sounds like you're saying you want to build a computer from scratch.
Okay, awesome. I was thinking if there is a easier way then starting from scratch, but maybe not.

So firstly I have to code a graphical interface like paint. Store this code in a microcontroller.

Can you guys recommend microcontrollers I could use to program a visual interface software which I will output to a TV?
 
Last edited: