Build a Mini Laser Cutter: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, creating a DIY laser cutter (small size) can be done by using a laser diode with a power output of around 200mW, extracted from an old CD-RW, DVD-RW or Blu-Ray drive. It is important to operate the laser safely and use eye protection. For cutting harder materials, a 500mW laser diode can be used but it must be handled with extreme caution. Additional components such as a driving circuit, cooling system, and lens are necessary for the laser cutter to function properly.
weitao
How to make a DIY laser cutter(small size) ? Can you help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
weitao said:
How to make a DIY laser cutter(small size) ? Can you help me?

Well, first you need a laser, and you need to know how to operate it safely. What laser do you plan on using? What material do you want to cut?

i want to create a laser cutter small as laser pointer! I want to cut plastic, iron and so hard material!

This can be done quite simply with a laser diode (LD).

For instance, extracting an LD from an old CD-RW, DVD-RW or Blu-Ray drive and building a driver circuit could give you a laser with a power output around 200mW (the average laser point is < 5mW). If this is focussed it could burn through paper, electrical tape, pop balloons etc.

However, you MUST have eye-protection on for this. Any laser above 5mW is class 3 and can permanently damage your eyes. Whilst shining the beam at an object seems safe, it can reflect off shiny surfaces...

weitao said:
i want to create a laser cutter small as laser pointer! I want to cut plastic, iron and so hard material!

A laser pointer will generally put out 1mW or so of radiant energy. How much optical power do you think it would take to cut even a soft material? You can estimate that number by remembering that you can use a 10cm magnifying glass in bright sunlight to melt soft materials...

weitao said:

A key-chain laser pointer that can cut through iron? Would you like a spaceship to go with that, or would that be all, sir?

Is I use almost 500mW d.c. and use tow convex lens has focal length of 5cm and the distance between them is less than 1cm, and add a cooling system by using liquid! Can the laser cutter form?

weitao said:
Is I use almost 500mW d.c. and use tow convex lens has focal length of 5cm and the distance between them is less than 1cm, and add a cooling system by using liquid! Can the laser cutter form?

You have a 1/2 Watt laswer diode? Where did you get it?

berkeman said:
You have a 1/2 Watt laswer diode? Where did you get it?

Is 0.5W laser diode hard to find? If I have, can the plan that I post previous one work?

Well, 500mW is very powerful. Just make sure you use goggles...

And the rough plan sounds ok - essentially you need a driving circuit (inc. cooling) and some way of mounting it with a lens to focus the energy. I don't know what exactly are the 'cutting limits' with this but you'll certainly burn through paper and thin materials (even at a distance).

What materials are needed to build a mini laser cutter?

To build a mini laser cutter, you will need a laser diode, a power source, a focusing lens, mirrors, a cooling system, a control board, and a frame to hold everything together. You will also need some basic tools like a soldering iron, wire cutters, and a drill.

Is it difficult to build a mini laser cutter?

Building a mini laser cutter can be a challenging project, especially if you are new to electronics and DIY projects. However, with the right instructions and some basic knowledge, it can be a rewarding and achievable task.

What is the cutting power of a mini laser cutter?

The cutting power of a mini laser cutter depends on the strength of the laser diode used. Most mini laser cutters have a cutting power of around 2-5 watts, which is enough to cut through materials like paper, cardstock, and thin wood.

Can a mini laser cutter be used for engraving?

Yes, a mini laser cutter can be used for engraving as well as cutting. By adjusting the power and speed of the laser, you can create detailed engravings on various materials such as wood, acrylic, and leather.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a mini laser cutter?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when building and using a mini laser cutter. It is important to wear protective eyewear and gloves, have proper ventilation in your workspace, and take care when working with high voltage components. It is also important to follow all instructions carefully and never leave the laser cutter unattended while it is in use.