Fume extractor for a laser cutter

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of laser cutters and fume extractors in a closed environment. The laser cutter in question is a Full Spectrum HL-40-5G-110 with a working area of 20x12 and a power of 40 or 45 watts. The user is in need of a fume extractor and has found one online for a cheaper price. However, there are concerns about whether this fume extractor will be able to effectively remove fumes and if replacement filters will be easily available. The manual for the laser cutter recommends an exhaust system capable of 60-100 CFM and the use of rigid or flexible metal ducting. It is important to ensure that the fume extractor is able to
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Lasers cutter and fume extractor
Summary: Lasers cutter and fume extractor

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with laser cutting and fume extractors. I have a laser cutter now and need to buy a fume extractor since it will operate in a closed environment. Some fume extractors on amazon are inexpensive (~$500) but I wonder if they will do the job.

I guess I need to make sure I can purchase filters too once they original ones need to be replaced...any recommendation is highly appreciated.

thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have experience with laser cutters/engravers in 100 watt range. The manufacturer spec'd a CFM at a given vacuum for the specific machine when it was purchased. Went to an industrial supply house and purchased a centrifugal blower that met specs. That is approaching 20 years ago and I don't recall details but I can tell you it was in the range of a 2 to 5 horsepower 3 phase motor to run the blower. What type of cutter do you have? I would be interested in some details please.

Likes berkeman
Thank you. It is a Full Spectrum HL-40-5G-110, 20x12 working area...

The fume extractor I found online is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Pure-Air-Fume-Extractor-Smoke-Purifier-for-Co2-Laser-Marking-Cutter-Machine/123700296902?epid=13030702002&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1ccd1cbcc6:g:T48AAOSwFlNcki4r&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUEfao7hK2WWhaixaWrDuT4eyBtHdKsoAmgWL5pKFQ%2BmSSZxpaz8A%2FiZfGTrwUDW7%2BVKiFJu0fo7YcLUFbkhxnUF681MtBfe2M1u5B%2BA2mH5neqKwH5L4QmGAP05QqOmgS%2FQdXqfKH1sjr3GxVj1ReXhh2UFiRSdTspu0pC1sRVFQM9bg6Cj9RFDkXAOqpiVSFsYDVZPvUCE56MYVY11kYMCsbV3U421fVigVSPHd7HpvJ0E1oILNc1df%2FecU5yoTRarLmmrhYGv4u2K%2BCcANC0U7iCBgEaotDQEp4auNHyg7u7NfviSxVNZ401%2FgbltxG3MMSoDHEurDgUoHzCAKNTQorBOxHMN3RMgoP5w7RqOqsgXsSR8TxF9qP2BndCWFYHiGnJlGItrrSQ5fM3vl0A%2B6cVIW5GDUjkJ2Sj6lJPYlZwlAPqZ4xwldPiL%2FLenohoGibfnnVxwWejzkFcObNjjxLQWy%2BMaWH5QTzkc3NP7a8it7Xg4ITPpJSAX9WlI37AM10MgOiOfrK%2BrphhTu2qRNNAmPP9de%2BRhcUl0xEz43vy8QnKKI9OraCst4LRBaTJ2oVV6kjjwkp71G5GhfGnXfVCBzAFb3lC5ONP9cw7ou5izhlD3Sw4arFCSLbU%2BNawcAuGf4Uspj%2BidMqY3DbdCBDPM17%2FF2hP6XMKKto78srLXnLlQdG0WaHQTPNDCdhDwNxoK2wy7gJ3kU84X1qhoon3yFvVHdZS%2FwERFa%2BBZg%3D%3D&checksum=123700296902baae331d1d43404f91e9512e434c79a0&enc=AQAEAAACQBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUEfao7hK2WWhaixaWrDuT4eyBtHdKsoAmgWL5pKFQ%2BmSSZxpaz8A%2FiZfGTrwUDW7%2BVKiFJu0fo7YcLUFbkhxnUF681MtBfe2M1u5B%2BA2mH5neqKwH5L4QmGAP05QqOmgS%2FQdXqfKH1sjr3GxVj1ReXhh2UFiRSdTspu0pC1sRVFQM9bg6Cj9RFDkXAOqpiVSFsYDVZPvUCE56MYVY11kYMCsbV3U421fVigVSPHd7HpvJ0E1oILNc1df%2FecU5yoTRarLmmrhYGv4u2K%2BCcANC0U7iCBgEaotDQEp4auNHyg7u7NfviSxVNZ401%2FgbltxG3MMSoDHEurDgUoHzCAKNTQorBOxHMN3RMgoP5w7RqOqsgXsSR8TxF9qP2BndCWFYHiGnJlGItrrSQ5fM3vl0A%2B6cVIW5GDUjkJ2Sj6lJPYlZwlAPqZ4xwldPiL%2FLenohoGibfnnVxwWejzkFcObNjjxLQWy%2BMaWH5QTzkc3NP7a8it7Xg4ITPpJSAX9WlI37AM10MgOiOfrK%2BrphhTu2qRNNAmPP9de%2BRhcUl0xEz43vy8QnKKI9OraCst4LRBaTJ2oVV6kjjwkp71G5GhfGnXfVCBzAFb3lC5ONP9cw7ou5izhlD3Sw4arFCSLbU%2BNawcAuGf4Uspj%2BidMqY3DbdCBDPM17%2FF2hP6XMKKto78srLXnLlQdG0WaHQTPNDCdhDwNxoK2wy7gJ3kU84X1qhoon3yFvVHdZS%2FwERFa%2BBZg%3D%3D&checksum=123700296902baae331d1d43404f91e9512e434c79a0

I didn't spend a tremendous amount of time researching that particular model but I did not find the wattage. The laser power of the machine will determine how large of a fume extractor is required. I didn't realize that the extractor you refer to does not exhaust to the outside. I think it will be tough to clean up the air enough on a 100 watt or larger machine without simply exhausting the air to the outdoors. It may be practical if you move enough material through the laser to justify something that does not exhaust the air to the outdoors, but if you are doing small volume materials through the machine I think you may be better off exhausting to the outside.
-
Do you have any info from the manufacturer? The machine I set up was a Universal Lasers 32 x 18 with 2 laser cartridges. I don't recall the exact wattage but both lasers were combined for a power of 2X the cartridge power. There was NO fan on these machines except to cool the CO2 laser cartridges. This machine was air cooled, not liquid. So, it was required to provide a draft though the machine. Allowing gases and fumes to build up in the cabinet was certainly not an option and likely a fire or worse waiting to happen.

Thank you Tom G.

The laser cutter is 40 or 45 Watts.

I found the manual online: Manual. On page 12:

The exhaust blower removes smoke and fumes from the case and exhausts them to the outside of the building... Full Spectrum recommends exhaust systems capable of 60-100 CFM...
It is important that either rigid or flexible metal ducting be used in the exhaust system. Any type of “soft” ducting is potentially flammable and should be avoided.

To make sure:
  • The exhaust flange on the back of the cutter chassis connects first to a fan (called the exhaust blower) which connects to the fume extractor (I have no choice but using a fume extractor since the downstairs room has no windows).
  • The fume extractor has multiple filters inside (3 types) and sucks the dirty air coming from the fan, cleans it, and ejects the cleaner air out into the room.
  • I hope it is easy to buy replacement filters for these cheaper fume extractors...
Thank you!

You need to be sure the fume extractor is able to move the 60 to 100 CFM required. If not, you are risking fire and buildup in the machine which will damage the optics. I have doubts.

Likes fog37
Hello Averagesupernova,

One last question: should I connect the laser cutter to the fan and the fan to the fume extractor? Or just the laser cutter directly to the fan?

The fume extractor, on the paper at least, seems to be pull 180 m3/h = 100 CFM...

What does the documentation for your laser say for fan requirement concerning CFM?
-
Edit:
Ok I see 60 to 100 CFM. So are you exhausting to the outside with the fan? I don't know if your fume extractor is designed to be hooked up to an external fan.

Last edited:

Related to Fume extractor for a laser cutter

What is a fume extractor for a laser cutter?

A fume extractor for a laser cutter is a device that removes potentially harmful fumes and particles from the air during the laser cutting process. It helps to improve air quality and create a safer working environment.

Why is a fume extractor necessary for a laser cutter?

Laser cutting involves melting and vaporizing materials, which can release hazardous fumes and particles into the air. A fume extractor helps to remove these pollutants and protect the health of the user and those in the surrounding area.

How does a fume extractor work?

A fume extractor uses a combination of filters, fans, and ducting to capture and filter out fumes and particles from the air. The air is drawn into the extractor, passed through filters to remove contaminants, and then released back into the environment.

What are the different types of fume extractors for laser cutters?

There are several types of fume extractors for laser cutters, including portable units, benchtop units, and larger industrial units. They may also use different types of filters, such as HEPA or activated carbon, depending on the specific needs of the laser cutting process.

How do I choose the right fume extractor for my laser cutter?

When selecting a fume extractor for a laser cutter, consider the size and power of your laser cutter, the materials you will be cutting, and the ventilation needs of your workspace. It is also important to choose a fume extractor that meets safety and regulatory standards for your industry.