Solve 2D Asteroid Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, Kepler's Laws can be used to calculate the position of an asteroid in the future if you know its starting position, its gravitational constant, and the speed at which it is moving.
PolVD
Homework Statement
An asteroid passes next to a planet with mass m, and position (0, 0). The asteroid has an initial velocity (Vx, Vy) and a starting position (Px, Py). Considering that gravitational constant is 1, and ignoring the size of both objects, get the formula to calculate the asteroid position in the future.
Relevant Equations
x = V0x * t
y = V0y * t + 1/2 * g * t^2
Hi everyone! I don't know how to solve the next problem, and if anyone could explain to me step by step how it is solved I would thank you a lot. I know it's not hard, but I'm not seeing how to do it. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
PolVD said:
Homework Statement:: An asteroid passes next to a planet with mass m, and position (0, 0). The asteroid has an initial velocity (Vx, Vy) and a starting position (Px, Py). Considering that gravitational constant is 1, and ignoring the size of both objects, get the formula to calculate the asteroid position in the future.
Relevant Equations:: x = V0x * t
y = V0y * t + 1/2 * g * t^2

Hi everyone! I don't know how to solve the next problem, and if anyone could explain to me step by step how it is solved I would thank you a lot. I know it's not hard, but I'm not seeing how to do it. Thank you in advance!
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Are you familiar with Kepler's Laws? Since they are asking about an asteroid (and not a ball thrown on the surface of the planet), I'm guessing they want you to use the equations for orbital motion...

https://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smotion.htm

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Are you familiar with Kepler's Laws? Since they are asking about an asteroid (and not a ball thrown on the surface of the planet), I'm guessing they want you to use the equations for orbital motion...

https://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Smotion.htm

Actually, I'm not super familiar with physics in general. I'm taking a look at the page you send to me but it is super overwhelming. Are you 100% sure it should go that way? In that case, I would thank a more basic explanation since I have to get the whole formula to get the asteroid position and no a single result. I haven't done any physics in about 10 years. Thanks!

I asked that same question to another forum and this was the thread... But I didn't get any clear answer... That's why I'm here asking too.

Hi. I think if you are talking about "asteroids" and "planets", you should start with universal gravitation.

Newton's law of universal gravitation: $$\vec{F} = \frac{GMm}{r^3}\vec{r},$$ where ##\vec{r}## is the position vector (the position of asteroid in this question). ##r## is the distance between the asteroid and planet.

If the gravitational constant is 1, maybe you can define $$G=1,$$ hence $$\vec{F} = \frac{Mm}{r^3}\vec{r}.$$
Then you just need to consider the force components on x and y-axis and use Newton's 2nd law to solve it. (You only need to use the x and y coordinates of forces and acceleration)

1. What is the 2D asteroid problem?

The 2D asteroid problem is a mathematical problem that involves predicting the path of an asteroid moving in a two-dimensional space. It requires knowledge of physics and mathematics to accurately solve.

2. Why is it important to solve the 2D asteroid problem?

Understanding the path and trajectory of an asteroid is crucial for space exploration and the potential threat of asteroid impacts on Earth. Solving the 2D asteroid problem allows scientists to accurately predict and plan for potential collisions.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the 2D asteroid problem?

The steps involved in solving the 2D asteroid problem include identifying the initial conditions, calculating the asteroid's position and velocity, applying the laws of motion and gravity, and using numerical methods to solve the equations.

4. What tools or software can be used to solve the 2D asteroid problem?

There are various tools and software that can be used to solve the 2D asteroid problem, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python. These programs have built-in functions and libraries that can perform the necessary calculations and simulations.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving the 2D asteroid problem?

Solving the 2D asteroid problem has real-life applications in space exploration, asteroid mining, and planetary defense. It can also be used to study the motion of other celestial bodies and improve our understanding of the universe.