Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Build a RC bandpass filter to pass only 60Hz

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    I'm wanting to build a RC bandpass filter to pass only 60Hz. But I do not know what capacitors and resistors to use. Can anyone tell me what capacitor and resistors I should use?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the application? What order filter do you want? What polynomial? What width? Active or passive? Is this for some power application?

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    I'm looking for a butterworth response, bandwidth to be as close as possible to 60Hz, active filter and it is for power supply. I have alot of frequencies all on one line and I want to get rid of the unwanted frequencies. I was looking at different types of filters like the switched capacitor filter but it requires a separate supply voltage to operate. And the op-amp requires external parts. What I am looking for is an intergrated circuit that doesn't require a separate supply voltage to operate. And is programed to have a passband of 60Hz.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You wouldn't normally use an active filter for a power supply. The active circuit would then have to supply the power, and you're not going to get much power out of an opamp.

What is the RMS voltage level of the 60Hz signal? How much power are you passing through? It sounds like you should look at LC passive filters:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-112384.html

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=2874

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?