Build Powerful Electromagnet: Wire or Bitter Plates?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the best method for building a powerful electromagnet for their CNC machine. They are unsure if they should use wire or make bitter plates and are not sure how big of a magnetic field they need. The idea of using a bittermagnet is dismissed as it requires a low voltage, high current power supply. The individual may need to do some calculations and research to determine the best approach for their project.
reddevil2576
I am needing to build an electromagnet that will sit around part of a torus. In your opinion would I be better off just using wire to wind my own electromagnet or making bitter plates that make an electromagnet?
I realize this might sounds crazy but I need to build a very powerful electromagnet. If the bitter magnet would be better this won't be a problem. I am nearing the finish of building my own cnc machine and could build my own mould to form the plates.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use wire. Bitter electromagnets require a very low voltage, very high current power supply.

what about if the bittermagnet is made out of a solid piece of copper and has real insulation but no cooling cause it has high voltage and lower amperage? Let's say 5000v 3amp

I don't know how big of a field I am needing I'm not that familiar with this area of electricity. I would like to generat at least 1000 pounds of force is the only thing I know.

A bittermagnet has high current and low voltage and is not the way to go.
1000 pounds of force could be easy or impossible.
You need to draw the magnetic circuit so the force can be calculated.
If most of the magnetic flux is through iron and there is a very small gap, then 1000 pounds of force could be easy.

ill have to look up some equations. there will not be an iron core. the object of this electromagnet will be to get a piece of iron that is at the edge of it almost to the center then turn off.

Sounds almost like a gun.

Maybe try Ampere's Force law?

Yeah it sounds like a coilgun but these electromagnets will be on the outside of an aluminum ring with iron pieces bolted onto it. These coils will accelerate the ring.

If you want to accelerate the ring, aluminum is diamagnetic and would be accelerated through the coils without the iron, but I am not sure that this is what you are wanting.

I know my physics teacher had a demonstration for this, and he would ask a student to hold the ring down with the magnetic field and asked what they felt. It got hot fairly quickly.

I don't think that'll work appreciate the thought though. I thought about doing a DC maglev type of propulsion to accelerate this ring. Only 3/4 of the ring will have magnets or some kind of propulsion system. The system will also suspend the ring so there is no friction on the ring so no moving parts touch anything.

Related to Build Powerful Electromagnet: Wire or Bitter Plates?

What materials are needed to build a powerful electromagnet?

To build a powerful electromagnet, you will need a source of electricity, such as a battery or power supply, a coil of wire, and a magnetic core. The magnetic core can be made of ferromagnetic materials such as iron, cobalt, or nickel.

What is the difference between using wire and Bitter plates to create an electromagnet?

Wire and Bitter plates both create electromagnets, but they work in slightly different ways. Wire creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it, while Bitter plates use a series of small electromagnets to create a stronger and more focused magnetic field.

How do I determine the size and strength of my electromagnet?

The size and strength of your electromagnet will depend on several factors, including the number of coils in the wire, the amount of current flowing through it, and the type of magnetic core used. You can calculate the strength of your electromagnet using formulas such as Ampere's Law or the Biot-Savart Law.

Can I control the strength of my electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire or by changing the number of coils in the wire. Additionally, using a magnetic core with a higher permeability can also increase the strength of the electromagnet.

What are some practical uses for powerful electromagnets?

Powerful electromagnets have many practical uses, such as in medical imaging machines, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in industrial settings for lifting and moving heavy objects, as well as in research for studying magnetic fields and their effects on materials.