Build Your Own Transformer: EE Student's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of designing and building a personal power supply. It is suggested to use a 120V to 15V transformer and a rectifier, but it is noted that additional components such as a capacitor may be needed to smooth out the output. It is also mentioned that designing and building one's own transformer is possible, but precautions should be taken to ensure safety. Practical knowledge such as transformer turns ratios is also mentioned as being important to consider in the design process.
mishimaBeef
Hi, I was thinking of making my own power supply and I was wondering how low level I can go with it in terms of designing individual components and then putting them together to form the circuit.

So, I'm looking at like a 120V to 15V transformer then through a rectifier to get 15V DC?

I'm sure it's more involved than that but ideally that is all you need right? Perhaps some practical knowledge is being missed and if anyone can point that out great.

Now to the point, is it feasible to design and build my own transformer using like some iron and wiring the primary and secondary myself? Is there a way to do this safely (i.e. overdesign the insulation and accept low efficiency, fuse the primary).

I'm not looking to make a transformer that will be part of the final design of the power supply but I'm looking to test, analyse and explain the home brew design with experimentation.

Thanks,
EE Student

Engineering news on Phys.org
mishimaBeef said:
I'm sure it's more involved than that but ideally that is all you need right?

Not quite, you will get severe rippling without a capacitor to smooth it out.

mishimaBeef said:
So, I'm looking at like a 120V to 15V transformer then through a rectifier to get 15V DC?

Rectifiers have some loss - the simplest type, a full-bridge rectifier, will have a loss equal the forward voltage of two diodes, or about 1.2-1.4V for PN junction diodes. You will need to design around this: the output of your transformer should be around 16.4V.

mishimaBeef said:
Now to the point, is it feasible to design and build my own transformer using like some iron and wiring the primary and secondary myself? Is there a way to do this safely (i.e. overdesign the insulation and accept low efficiency, fuse the primary).

Yes, it is feasible, but be careful: use a fuse, use a GFI-protected outlet to test, and make sure you are using the 'ground' plug of the wall outlet to ground a metal casing around your circuitry. That way, if anything should go awry, it will do so via a blown fuse or circuit breaker, not a blown EE student!

mishimaBeef said:
Perhaps some practical knowledge is being missed and if anyone can point that out great.

Transformer turns ratios are not as cut-and-dry as a textbook makes you think. The "actual" turns ratio might differ from the ratio of voltages it gives you, and is slightly frequency-dependent. Build your design so that you can repeatedly test the ratio at 60Hz, and add turns as needed. You may have to do this 10 times to get it perfect!

Good luck.

1. What is the purpose of building your own transformer?

The purpose of building your own transformer is to gain a deeper understanding of how transformers work and to enhance your knowledge and skills in electrical engineering. It is also a fun and hands-on way to apply theoretical concepts learned in the classroom.

2. What materials are needed to build a transformer?

The materials needed to build a transformer include a core (made of iron or ferrite), copper wire, insulating material, and a power source (such as a battery). Optional materials may include a multimeter, soldering iron, and wire cutters.

3. What are the basic steps to build a transformer?

The basic steps to build a transformer include: choosing a core and winding the primary and secondary coils, insulating the coils, connecting the coils to a power source, and testing the transformer using a multimeter to ensure it is functioning properly.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when building a transformer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building a transformer. It is important to be aware of potential electrical hazards and always work with caution. Make sure to disconnect the power source before handling the transformer and wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when working with wires.

5. Can a transformer be built without any prior experience in electrical engineering?

While prior experience in electrical engineering can be helpful, it is not necessary to build a transformer. The step-by-step instructions provided in the "Build Your Own Transformer" guide make it accessible for anyone to build a transformer and learn about the principles of transformers and electrical engineering.