Building a Tire Structure: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary: Stack tires vertically like great pyramids and roof with black plastic. This would give a very striking appearance.
John1397
Would it be possible to build a small 20' X 20' or 30' X 30' building using car tires using maybe one layer tires then black plastic to keep rain out then another layer of tires? If you just stack them vertical for the wall how would you build roof? Stacking them like great pyramids would look nice except I do not know how or if this would work with tires. By the way I can obtain a lot of tires. Draw me a detailed picture how to do.

Likes Delta2
Engineering news on Phys.org
Members are urged to be careful answering this thread. The danger of collapse with heavy materials overhead would take this discussion into dangerous territory. Dangerous topics are not allowed on PF.

Build a small model building - say about 4' by 4' by 4' high on the inside. That will answer all of your questions with no danger to you if it collapses. And you can do that in less time than it takes to draw a picture.

If that works, then a larger building, say about 8' by 8' by 6' high, before building a full scale building.

Does it have to be a rectangular building ? Google 'car tire igloo'

John1397 said:
Would it be possible to build a small 20' X 20' or 30' X 30' building using car tires

I am immediately reminded of a common comment "I can do anything you want to pay for." More definition of what your goal is would help. I have observed some very interesting and functional constructions using tires. One of the more intriguing was a large fence over 8 foot in height. The tires were bolted together both through the tread area and through the sidewalls. Approximately every 10 feet there was a large wood post which was cemented into the ground. This fence had the lower section of each tire filled with dirt and was used as the properties garden.
Was it constructed of tires? Yes, however it was also possibly expensive and labor intensive. Whether that met the persons goals is up to them.

1. What materials are needed to build a tire structure?

The materials needed to build a tire structure include tires (varying in size and shape), a hammer, nails or screws, a saw, a drill, and a measuring tape.

2. How do I prepare the tires for construction?

To prepare the tires, you will need to thoroughly clean them and remove any debris or dirt. You may also choose to paint the tires for aesthetic purposes.

3. What is the best way to stack the tires?

The best way to stack the tires is to first lay them flat on the ground, then stack them on top of each other in a pyramid shape. This will provide stability and support for the structure.

4. Can I use any type of tire for this project?

It is recommended to use tires with similar sizes and shapes for a more uniform and stable structure. However, you can use different types of tires as long as they are securely stacked and fastened together.

5. How do I secure the tires together?

To secure the tires together, you can use either nails or screws and a hammer or drill to fasten them together. You can also use ropes or wires to tie the tires together for added stability.