Building a vibrating plate compactor

• Thread starter stryped
  • Start date
Thinking of building a vibrating compactor to compact dirt and gravel for a new driveway section. I already have a horizontal shaft 13 horse honsa engine. I have some scrap steel. My question is concerning the exiter/vibrator. I was thinking of mounting 2 pillow block bearings with a pipe. A pulley to spin it, and some sort of weight offset on the shaft. Would would be the best weight to use and how do i determine the ideal amount? Any advice on this project is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Baluncore

Science Advisor
It is important that you do not vibrate the engine or it will fall apart, I have seen it done. It is also important that you do not apply vibration to the output shaft as that will overload the bearings, I have also seen that done.

If you can use two Vee belts with a floating approximate 90° elbow to couple the static engine to the vibrating eccentric you should not have problems. You just have to work out how, or on what, to mount the engine so it does not vibrate. 13 HP is a lot of vibration. Do you need the massage?

Maybe a sketch of your concept would help.

It is important that you do not vibrate the engine or it will fall apart, I have seen it done. It is also important that you do not apply vibration to the output shaft as that will overload the bearings, I have also seen that done.

If you can use two Vee belts with a floating approximate 90° elbow to couple the static engine to the vibrating eccentric you should not have problems. You just have to work out how, or on what, to mount the engine so it does not vibrate. 13 HP is a lot of vibration. Do you need the massage?

Maybe a sketch of your concept would help.
Good idea. Any idea what i could use to sketch my idea so as to attach it here? I am noy much of a drawer...

JBA

Gold Member
Looking at the below parts diagram may give you some help understanding what is involved i a compactor design.