Building a vibrating plate compactor

In summary, a person is thinking of building a vibrating compactor to compact dirt and gravel for a new driveway section. They have a horizontal shaft 13 horse honsa engine that they want to use, and they are wondering about the best weight to use and how to determine the ideal amount.
stryped
Thinking of building a vibrating compactor to compact dirt and gravel for a new driveway section. I already have a horizontal shaft 13 horse honsa engine. I have some scrap steel. My question is concerning the exiter/vibrator. I was thinking of mounting 2 pillow block bearings with a pipe. A pulley to spin it, and some sort of weight offset on the shaft. Would would be the best weight to use and how do i determine the ideal amount? Any advice on this project is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is important that you do not vibrate the engine or it will fall apart, I have seen it done. It is also important that you do not apply vibration to the output shaft as that will overload the bearings, I have also seen that done.

If you can use two Vee belts with a floating approximate 90° elbow to couple the static engine to the vibrating eccentric you should not have problems. You just have to work out how, or on what, to mount the engine so it does not vibrate. 13 HP is a lot of vibration. Do you need the massage?

Maybe a sketch of your concept would help.

Baluncore said:
It is important that you do not vibrate the engine or it will fall apart, I have seen it done. It is also important that you do not apply vibration to the output shaft as that will overload the bearings, I have also seen that done.

If you can use two Vee belts with a floating approximate 90° elbow to couple the static engine to the vibrating eccentric you should not have problems. You just have to work out how, or on what, to mount the engine so it does not vibrate. 13 HP is a lot of vibration. Do you need the massage?

Maybe a sketch of your concept would help.
Good idea. Any idea what i could use to sketch my idea so as to attach it here? I am noy much of a drawer...

Looking at the below parts diagram may give you some help understanding what is involved i a compactor design.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/green-machine/homelite/miscellaneous/hcp80-plate-compactor-ut-06042/eccentric

1. What is a vibrating plate compactor?

A vibrating plate compactor is a construction machine used to compact soil, gravel, and other materials. It consists of a heavy steel plate that vibrates at a high frequency, which helps to compress and flatten the material being compacted.

2. How does a vibrating plate compactor work?

A vibrating plate compactor works by using the weight and vibration of the steel plate to push down and compress the material being compacted. The vibration helps to loosen and settle the particles, allowing for more efficient compaction.

3. What are the benefits of using a vibrating plate compactor?

Using a vibrating plate compactor can result in a more stable and level surface, making it ideal for building foundations, roads, and walkways. It also helps to increase the density and strength of the compacted material, making it more resistant to settling and erosion.

4. How do you choose the right vibrating plate compactor for a specific project?

The right vibrating plate compactor for a project depends on the type and amount of material that needs to be compacted. Factors such as plate size, weight, and vibration frequency should be considered. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the most suitable compactor for your specific project.

5. What are some safety precautions to take when using a vibrating plate compactor?

When using a vibrating plate compactor, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, safety glasses, and earplugs. The machine should also be operated on a level surface and with caution to avoid tipping. Regular maintenance and proper training should also be conducted to ensure safe and efficient use of the compactor.