Building an Electrical Circuit to Monitor Pressure

In summary, the person is making wine at home and needs to monitor the process, and during the fermentation process CO2 is produced so the person needs to monitor the pressure in the system and provide for a pressure release (back to 1.1 atm.) if the pressure gets too high (> 1.4 atm.). If the pressure is increasing > 0.01atm./hour for more than 5 hoursthe system needs to shut down by permanently opening the pressure release valve and turning on a red warning light. Finally, the person needs to determine when the wine is done (17% EtOH). They have a sensor to detect %EtOHwith an output of 1V/1% EtOH. When the EtOH concentration
tarheelchem
I need to build a circuit to do the following:

I am making some wine at home and need to monitor the process. During the fermentation process CO2 is produced so I need to monitor the pressure in the system and provide for a pressure release (back to 1.1 atm.) if the pressure gets too high (> 1.4 atm.). I also need to track the rate of pressure increase to determine if something is going wrong with the fermentation process. If the pressure is increasing > 0.01atm./hour for more than 5 hoursthe system needs to shut down by permanently opening the pressure release valve and turning on a red warning light. Finally, I need to determine when the wine is done (17% EtOH). I have a sensor to detect %EtOHwith an output of 1V/1% EtOH. When the EtOH concentration is at the correct level, a green light should be turned on and the pressure release valve permanently opened.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could do it with a http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=PV100

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I think I'd be inclined to use a manometer of the right height (which is basically what the normal breather / bubbler things are - but with no proper calibration or set pressure values) and an optical method for sensing the level of the liquid in the manometer. You could count the number of the times the pressure builds up and is released as the optical sensor operates, giving the total volume of CO2 produced - which I guess is what you want to know. I am interested in the significance of the actual CO2 pressure. Is it a factor in fermentation rate?

There are a number of pressure sensors (cheap spares) which are used to set the water levels in Washing Machines and Dishwashers. Could that be a solution? (perhaps the pressure you want is too high for that, though.)

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
I think I'd be inclined to use a manometer of the right height

That woud be about 13 feet, for a water manometer :bugeye:

FWIW these seem very high pressures for home winemaking. Usually, you use an airlock to stop anything getting in from the atmosphere, but the internal pressure is atmospheric.

AlephZero said:
That woud be about 13 feet, for a water manometer :bugeye:

FWIW these seem very high pressures for home winemaking. Usually, you use an airlock to stop anything getting in from the atmosphere, but the internal pressure is atmospheric.

No worse than the domestic water system. Any plumbing device can take much more pressure than that.
I would also be interested in the whys and wherefores of such high pressure.

sophiecentaur said:
I think I'd be inclined to use a manometer of the right height (which is basically what the normal breather / bubbler things are - but with no proper calibration or set pressure values) and an optical method for sensing the level of the liquid in the manometer. You could count the number of the times the pressure builds up and is released as the optical sensor operates, giving the total volume of CO2 produced - which I guess is what you want to know. I am interested in the significance of the actual CO2 pressure. Is it a factor in fermentation rate?

There are a number of pressure sensors (cheap spares) which are used to set the water levels in Washing Machines and Dishwashers. Could that be a solution? (perhaps the pressure you want is too high for that, though.)
I'm actually a "don't reinvent the wheel" type of guy and prefer to do integration when making monitor/control systems. But I see your point too; keep it simple.

I'm curious about the pressure significance in the process too. I can think of a couple reasons he might want to do this. To collect good data to get the best wine consistently or he's just nerdy like most of us here and wants to play. Which ever. More power to him. :approve:

1. How do I choose the right components for my pressure monitoring circuit?

When building an electrical circuit to monitor pressure, it is important to choose components that are suitable for the range and type of pressure you are measuring. This includes selecting the appropriate sensors, amplifiers, and transducers. Consider the accuracy, sensitivity, and stability of each component to ensure reliable and accurate pressure readings.

2. What is the role of an amplifier in a pressure monitoring circuit?

An amplifier is used to amplify the small voltage signals from the pressure sensor to a level that can be measured by other components in the circuit. It also helps to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, making the pressure readings more precise and accurate.

3. Can I use a microcontroller in my pressure monitoring circuit?

Yes, a microcontroller can be used to process and analyze the pressure readings from the circuit. It can also be programmed to trigger alerts or control other devices based on the pressure readings. However, it is important to ensure that the microcontroller has the necessary input/output pins and processing power to handle the pressure monitoring tasks.

4. How can I protect my pressure monitoring circuit from damage?

To protect your pressure monitoring circuit, you can use overvoltage and overcurrent protection components. These can include voltage regulators, fuses, and surge protectors. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding can also help to prevent damage from electromagnetic interference.

5. How can I calibrate my pressure monitoring circuit?

To calibrate your pressure monitoring circuit, you will need a known pressure source and a multimeter. Connect the known pressure source to the circuit and record the readings. Then, compare these readings to the readings on the multimeter. Adjust the circuit as needed until the readings match, and the circuit is calibrated.