Calculating Building Height with Free Fall Kinematics | Spider-Man Example

In summary, Spider-Man falls freely from the top of a tall building a distance of h. In the last 1 second of his fall, he falls a distance of h/4. By using kinematic equations, it can be determined that the total distance he falls is 273m.
abhikesbhat

Homework Statement

Spider-Man steps from the top of a tall building. He falls freely from rest to the ground a distance of h. He falls a distance of h/4 in the last 1 second of his fall. What is h?

Homework Equations

All kinematic equations with free fall.

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the motion into 2 cases where there was one part three times higher than the other. I made a bunch of equations that lead to nothing. Apparently I don't understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which equations did you make? How do they lead to nothing?

Is it 276m?

What I did:

Let l = h/4

The Kinematics equation s = vit + 1/2 *at2

-l=v3l(1s) - 5*(1)2

gives (5-l) = v3

The distance spiderman moves before this is 3l, so using

vf2=vi2+2as

Vi is 0 since he starts from rest

so (5-l)^2=2*3*g*l

gives the quadratic equation l2-70x+25=0

Solving gives x = 0.358984 or 69.641

Multiply by 4 to get h.

I'm not sure if it's right though :rolleyes:

I made a bunch of equations that lead to nothing.

I think you just need the right 2 equations.

Focus on the time to fall. It falls 3/4 of the way in T1.

3/4*h = 1/2*g*T12

and

h = 1/2*g*T22

where T2 = T1 + 1

Solve for the total time and it's all down hill from there.

Thanks guys! That was a nice way to this problem LowlyPion. Also thanks physicsnoob93. I got 273m as my answer. I am pretty sure that's right after checking. Again thanks!

abhikesbhat said:
Thanks guys! That was a nice way to this problem LowlyPion. Also thanks physicsnoob93. I got 273m as my answer. I am pretty sure that's right after checking. Again thanks!
Not that it matters now, but I tried it both ways and they both give the same answer, 273m...

Related to Calculating Building Height with Free Fall Kinematics | Spider-Man Example

1. What is the maximum height a building can be?

The maximum height a building can be varies depending on the city and country it is located in. In general, building height is regulated by local building codes and zoning laws.

2. How is building height measured?

Building height is typically measured from the ground level to the highest point of the building, including any spires, antennas, or other architectural features.

3. What factors determine the height of a building?

The height of a building is determined by a variety of factors, including the purpose and function of the building, the location and surrounding buildings, structural limitations, and local building codes and regulations.

4. Are there any restrictions on building height in urban areas?

Yes, urban areas often have restrictions on building height to maintain a certain aesthetic, prevent overcrowding, and ensure safety and structural integrity.

5. How are tall buildings able to withstand strong winds and earthquakes?

Tall buildings are designed with specific structural systems and materials to withstand strong winds and earthquakes. These may include reinforced concrete, steel frames, and advanced engineering techniques such as dampers and tuned mass systems.