Bulbs that only emit long IR (>1200nm) or 1000K color temp.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
nlis12
Messages
32
Reaction score
3
I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
nlis12 said:
I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?
How about reducing the voltage on the bulb until it just glows, maybe using a dimmer? I have done this with 12 volt bulbs in school science when demonstrating the Greenhouse Effect.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nlis12
nlis12 said:
I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?
You can buy IR lamps for use with night vision and security equipment. LED s seem to be the way to go. Here's an example I found.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nlis12
tech99 said:
How about reducing the voltage on the bulb until it just glows, maybe using a dimmer? I have done this with 12 volt bulbs in school science when demonstrating the Greenhouse Effect.
Thanks!
That makes sense, if there is less voltage, less power, so the color temperature should go down.
 
nlis12 said:
Thanks!
That makes sense, if there is less voltage, less power, so the color temperature should go down.
There may be a lot of wasted power in using a filament lamp in that way. LEDs will give you much more IR at the wavelengths you need.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nlis12
sophiecentaur said:
You can buy IR lamps for use with night vision and security equipment. LED s seem to be the way to go. Here's an example I found.

Thanks for the info, I'll look up more stuff related to this!
 
sophiecentaur said:
There may be a lot of wasted power in using a filament lamp in that way. LEDs will give you much more IR at the wavelengths you need.
Yea I thought about that, but LEDs don't give me the radiant power I need. (unless I had >100,000 of them)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
nlis12 said:
LEDs don't give me the radiant power I need. (unless I had >100,000 of them)
You can get 14W IR LED lamps. What was your application for 1.4MW of IR? Also, where would you get appropriate filament lamps?
 
I think for this you are talking in the range of an infrared heater. I remember once using an infrared heater to illuminate a room for a camcorder with an ir mode.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic and dlgoff
russ_watters said:
I think for this you are talking in the range of an infrared heater.
Good idea. They also can provide lots of watts.
 
What sort of spectrum do you require? If it's got to be Black Body then a hot black body (filament) will do nicely. If you want no visible light from your source then you may need to use a filter - which is what night vision sources tend to do. But you haven't said what your application is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff