Bulbs that only emit long IR (>1200nm) or 1000K color temp.

In summary, the conversation is about finding bulbs or light fixtures that emit a spectrum with a color temperature between 500K and 1000K or only long IR wavelengths. The speakers discuss using dimmer switches or IR lamps for this purpose and also mention the use of LEDs. They also discuss the need for high radiant power and the possibility of using an infrared heater. The conversation ends with a question about the required spectrum and the purpose of the light source.
nlis12
I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nlis12 said:
I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?
How about reducing the voltage on the bulb until it just glows, maybe using a dimmer? I have done this with 12 volt bulbs in school science when demonstrating the Greenhouse Effect.

Likes nlis12
nlis12 said:

Does such a thing exist?
You can buy IR lamps for use with night vision and security equipment. LED s seem to be the way to go. Here's an example I found.

Likes nlis12
tech99 said:
How about reducing the voltage on the bulb until it just glows, maybe using a dimmer? I have done this with 12 volt bulbs in school science when demonstrating the Greenhouse Effect.
Thanks!
That makes sense, if there is less voltage, less power, so the color temperature should go down.

nlis12 said:
Thanks!
That makes sense, if there is less voltage, less power, so the color temperature should go down.
There may be a lot of wasted power in using a filament lamp in that way. LEDs will give you much more IR at the wavelengths you need.

Likes nlis12
sophiecentaur said:
You can buy IR lamps for use with night vision and security equipment. LED s seem to be the way to go. Here's an example I found.

Thanks for the info, I'll look up more stuff related to this!

sophiecentaur said:
There may be a lot of wasted power in using a filament lamp in that way. LEDs will give you much more IR at the wavelengths you need.
Yea I thought about that, but LEDs don't give me the radiant power I need. (unless I had >100,000 of them)

Likes sophiecentaur
nlis12 said:
LEDs don't give me the radiant power I need. (unless I had >100,000 of them)
You can get 14W IR LED lamps. What was your application for 1.4MW of IR? Also, where would you get appropriate filament lamps?

I think for this you are talking in the range of an infrared heater. I remember once using an infrared heater to illuminate a room for a camcorder with an ir mode.

Likes Asymptotic and dlgoff
russ_watters said:
I think for this you are talking in the range of an infrared heater.
Good idea. They also can provide lots of watts.

What sort of spectrum do you require? If it's got to be Black Body then a hot black body (filament) will do nicely. If you want no visible light from your source then you may need to use a filter - which is what night vision sources tend to do. But you haven't said what your application is.

Likes dlgoff

What is the purpose of bulbs that only emit long IR (>1200nm) or 1000K color temp?

These bulbs are specifically designed for applications that require a high level of heat, such as industrial heating, medical treatments, and infrared photography. They emit light with a longer wavelength, which is more efficient at generating heat than visible light.

How are bulbs that emit long IR or 1000K color temp different from regular bulbs?

Regular bulbs emit visible light, while these specialized bulbs emit infrared light. This means they do not produce visible light that can be seen by the human eye. Additionally, regular bulbs have a lower color temperature, typically around 2700K, while these bulbs have a higher color temperature of 1000K.

What are the benefits of using bulbs that only emit long IR or 1000K color temp?

The main benefit of using these bulbs is their ability to generate high levels of heat. This makes them suitable for various industrial and medical applications. They are also more energy-efficient than traditional heating methods, making them a cost-effective option.

Are there any safety concerns with using bulbs that emit long IR or 1000K color temp?

Yes, these bulbs should be handled with caution as they emit high levels of heat. It is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as using protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation, when working with these bulbs. They should also be kept out of reach of children.

Can bulbs that only emit long IR or 1000K color temp be used for household lighting?

No, these bulbs are not suitable for household lighting as they do not produce visible light. They also emit high levels of heat, which can be dangerous in a household setting. These bulbs are designed for specific industrial and medical applications and should not be used for general lighting purposes.