Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bulbs that only emit long IR (>1200nm) or 1000K color temp.

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    I am looking for bulbs that would be emitting a spectrum characterized by a color temperature of between 500K and 1000K or any kind of light fixture that only emits long IR wavelengths.

Does such a thing exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

tech99

Gold Member

How about reducing the voltage on the bulb until it just glows, maybe using a dimmer? I have done this with 12 volt bulbs in school science when demonstrating the Greenhouse Effect.

4. Jun 23, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can buy IR lamps for use with night vision and security equipment. LED s seem to be the way to go. Here's an example I found.

5. Jun 26, 2017 #4

Thanks!
    That makes sense, if there is less voltage, less power, so the color temperature should go down.

6. Jun 26, 2017 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There may be a lot of wasted power in using a filament lamp in that way. LEDs will give you much more IR at the wavelengths you need.

7. Jun 26, 2017 #6
    Thanks for the info, I'll look up more stuff related to this!

8. Jun 26, 2017 #7

Yea I thought about that, but LEDs don't give me the radiant power I need. (unless I had >100,000 of them)

9. Jun 26, 2017 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can get 14W IR LED lamps. What was your application for 1.4MW of IR? Also, where would you get appropriate filament lamps?

10. Jun 26, 2017 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think for this you are talking in the range of an infrared heater. I remember once using an infrared heater to illuminate a room for a camcorder with an ir mode.

11. Jun 26, 2017 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good idea. They also can provide lots of watts.

12. Jun 29, 2017 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of spectrum do you require? If it's got to be Black Body then a hot black body (filament) will do nicely. If you want no visible light from your source then you may need to use a filter - which is what night vision sources tend to do. But you haven't said what your application is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted