1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bullet Dynamics problem

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    bullet enters a wall with speed v1 and goes out with speed v2, the wall is h units thick. During that time it experiences an impending force which is proprtional to v^2. I have to find the time the bullet goes out the wall.

I can take t0=0 v0=v1 x0=0

Using N2 law i get d(mv)/dt = -F..............mdv/dt = -m*v^2 (im not sure if im missing here something)
    dv/dt = -v^2

dt = - dv/v^2 ===> t = (v1-v2)/v1*v2...this result is wierd since it doesnt contain h so i must have constructed the equation wrongly i guess.
    I think that F depends on h since F can act only between [0; h], and maybe the answer should be multiplied with h and t = h*(v1-v2)/v1*v2...but it still doesnt look right to me....any opinions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the force was said to be proportional to v^2.
    So F= -kv^2, where k is a constant
    and dv/dt=-k/m* V^2

dv/dt = -v^2
    dt = - dv/v^2 ===> t = (v1-v2)/v1*v2...this result is wierd ....[/QUOTE]

Including that constant k and m the mass of the bullet, you get

t=(v1-v2)/(v1*v2)*m/k (A)

But you do not know m/k. You should get it from h, the distance travelled.

You are on the right track. F depends on the position of the bullet inside the wall through the velocity. So the acceleration canbe considered as function of the position, x.

a = dv/dt = dv/dx * dx/dt = dv/dx *v.
    F= ma = - kv^2

m*dv/dx *v = - k*v^2,

or dv/dx = (-k/m)*v

Solve this differential equation with the condition that v=v1 at x=0 and v=v2 at x=h. You get an expression containing the unknown k/m which you can use to determine t from equation (A).

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    thanks, i liked ur comments and u have been most helpful
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?