How Long Does It Take a Bullet to Traverse a Wall with Variable Resistance?

In summary, when the bullet enters the wall at speed v1, it experiences an impending force proportional to v^2. However, because you don't know the value of m/k, you can't calculate the time it goes out the wall.
vabamyyr
bullet enters a wall with speed v1 and goes out with speed v2, the wall is h units thick. During that time it experiences an impending force which is proprtional to v^2. I have to find the time the bullet goes out the wall.

I can take t0=0 v0=v1 x0=0

Using N2 law i get d(mv)/dt = -F.....mdv/dt = -m*v^2 (im not sure if I am missing here something)
dv/dt = -v^2

dt = - dv/v^2 ===> t = (v1-v2)/v1*v2...this result is weird since it doesn't contain h so i must have constructed the equation wrongly i guess.
I think that F depends on h since F can act only between [0; h], and maybe the answer should be multiplied with h and t = h*(v1-v2)/v1*v2...but it still doesn't look right to me...any opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
vabamyyr said:
bullet enters a wall with speed v1 and goes out with speed v2, the wall is h units thick. During that time it experiences an impending force which is proprtional to v^2. I have to find the time the bullet goes out the wall.
I can take t0=0 v0=v1 x0=0
Using N2 law i get d(mv)/dt = -F.....mdv/dt = -m*v^2 (im not sure if I am missing here something)

Well, the force was said to be proportional to v^2.
So F= -kv^2, where k is a constant
and dv/dt=-k/m* V^2

[Quote}

dv/dt = -v^2
dt = - dv/v^2 ===> t = (v1-v2)/v1*v2...this result is weird ...[/QUOTE]

Including that constant k and m the mass of the bullet, you get

t=(v1-v2)/(v1*v2)*m/k (A)

But you do not know m/k. You should get it from h, the distance travelled.

I think that F depends on h since F can act only between [0; h]

You are on the right track. F depends on the position of the bullet inside the wall through the velocity. So the acceleration canbe considered as function of the position, x.

a = dv/dt = dv/dx * dx/dt = dv/dx *v.
F= ma = - kv^2

m*dv/dx *v = - k*v^2,

or dv/dx = (-k/m)*v

Solve this differential equation with the condition that v=v1 at x=0 and v=v2 at x=h. You get an expression containing the unknown k/m which you can use to determine t from equation (A).

ehild

thanks, i liked ur comments and u have been most helpful

Related to How Long Does It Take a Bullet to Traverse a Wall with Variable Resistance?

What is a Bullet Dynamics problem?

A Bullet Dynamics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion and behavior of a bullet or projectiles. It typically involves calculations related to velocity, acceleration, and forces acting on the bullet.

What are the main factors that affect bullet dynamics?

The main factors that affect bullet dynamics include the initial velocity of the bullet, air resistance, gravity, and the mass and shape of the bullet. Other factors such as wind, temperature, and altitude can also have an impact on bullet dynamics.

How is the trajectory of a bullet calculated?

The trajectory of a bullet can be calculated using equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and any other external forces. Advanced simulations and computer programs can also be used for more accurate calculations.

What is the significance of bullet dynamics in ballistics?

Bullet dynamics play a crucial role in ballistics, as they determine the flight path and impact of a bullet. Understanding bullet dynamics is important in fields such as military operations, law enforcement, and hunting, as it can help in making accurate shots and predicting the behavior of bullets.

What are some common challenges in solving bullet dynamics problems?

Some common challenges in solving bullet dynamics problems include accounting for all the relevant forces acting on the bullet, dealing with non-uniform air resistance, and considering the effects of rotation on the bullet's trajectory. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as the quality of data and the precision of the calculations.