Light from Train Scenario: Student Question Explained

In summary, the discussion in physics class about the 'bullet fired from a train scenario' concluded that the bullet would travel at 1000 km/h relative to the ground. However, at higher speeds close to the speed of light, relativistic addition of velocities must be used. This was demonstrated through the example of a torch being shone in the same direction as the train, where the speed of the wavefront would be slightly slower than the speed of light. This highlights the importance of understanding relativistic principles when dealing with high velocities.
Fred Choi
I am a student, and a few days ago in physics class we were discussing about the 'bullet fired from a train scenario', where e.g. if a train is heading towards a certain direction at 200 km/h and a bullet is fired at 800 km/h, the bullet would travel at 1000 km/h relative to the ground. However, one my friends asked an interesting question that even my teacher struggled to answer:
What if a torch was shone in the same direction as the train was travelling? Would the wave travel at the speed of light plus the speed of the train? But after all, nothing travels faster than the speed of light. Please help me with this! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The simple addition of velocities is only valid for velocities much smaller than the speed of light. 800 km/h and 1000 km/h are both much smaller than the speed of light and therefore it is a (very) good approximation to assume simple addition of velocities. When you deal with velocities close to the speed of light, you need to use relativistic addition of velocities, which is given by
$$
v' = \frac{v+u}{1+\frac{uv}{c^2}}.
$$

Suggested exercise: Try this out for v = 800 km/h and u = 200 km/h and see how much the result differs from 1000 km/h.

Fred Choi said:
I am a student, and a few days ago in physics class we were discussing about the 'bullet fired from a train scenario', where e.g. if a train is heading towards a certain direction at 200 km/h and a bullet is fired at 800 km/h, the bullet would travel at 1000 km/h relative to the ground.
It doesn't move at exactly 1000 km/hr relative to the ground. If ##u## is the speed of the train and ##v## is the speed of the bullet, the correct formula is not ##u+v##, it is ##(u+v)/(1+uv/c^2)## where ##c## is the speed of light. The difference is completely unnoticeable at the sorts of speeds you're taking about, but it is there. (Google for "relativistic velocity addition" for more information).

However, one my friends asked an interesting question that even my teacher struggled to answer:
What if a torch was shone in the same direction as the train was travelling? Would the wave travel at the speed of light plus the speed of the train? But after all, nothing travels faster than the speed of light. Please help me with this! Thanks
Try setting ##v=c## in the formula above, see what you get for the speed of the wavefront... It's is actually kinda fun to see how it comes out.

[edit: Curses! Beaten by Orodruin again! In need a faster internet connectioon! :smile:]

What is the "Light from Train Scenario"?

The "Light from Train Scenario" is an example used in physics to explain the theory of relativity. It involves a moving train and two observers, one on the train and one on the ground, measuring the speed of light from a moving object.

How does the "Light from Train Scenario" demonstrate the theory of relativity?

The scenario demonstrates the theory of relativity by showing that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is the same for both the observer on the train and the observer on the ground, even though they are moving at different speeds.

Why is the speed of light important in the "Light from Train Scenario"?

The speed of light is important in the scenario because it is the only constant in the equation. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is always the same, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is a fundamental concept in understanding the relationship between time, space, and motion.

What are the implications of the "Light from Train Scenario" in physics?

The scenario has significant implications in physics, particularly in the field of relativity. It has helped scientists understand the relationship between time, space, and motion, and has led to the development of groundbreaking theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

Can the "Light from Train Scenario" be applied to other situations?

Yes, the principles demonstrated in the scenario can be applied to other situations involving moving objects and the speed of light. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has been used to explain various phenomena, such as the behavior of particles at high speeds and the bending of light in gravitational fields.