Electromagnetism: Moving Electrons & Magnetic Fields

In summary: If the bullet had a static charge on it, then the electric field would still exist, and the bullet would feel that field.
skywolf
question on electromagnetism, moving electrons with respect to other electrons causes a field to be felt right?

maybe if i skip to my example itl make sence...
lets say you fire a bullet parallel to a wire. will the bullet feel a magnetic field, and if so, will it change its tragectory.

what if the wire is solenoid-like? will that change anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not qualified to answer your question exactly, but I'd think that it would have to be one incredibly strong field to affect the trajectory of a bullet. In addition, most bullets are made of non-magnetic lead, with or without a copper jacket.

skywolf said:
question on electromagnetism, moving electrons with respect to other electrons causes a field to be felt right?

lets say you fire a bullet parallel to a wire. will the bullet feel a magnetic field, and if so, will it change its tragectory.

"question on electromagnetism, moving electrons with respect to other electrons causes a field to be felt right?"

No, not in the context of your question.
For example, if your statement were true, than I could rotate an electrically neutral copper disk, say, clockwise, and rotate another electrically neutral copper disk counterclockwise, and the 2 disks spinning close to each other would generate a magnetic field.
This does not happen.

skywolf said:

A net movement of charge will create a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field with respect to time will generate an electric field (which can induce a net voltage in a conductor which loops around the changing magnetic flux).

If you move electrons that are bound to atoms (like in the bullet example), you are not moving net charge.

If you have a magnetic field like from a solenoid, and you fire a bullet that flies perpendicular to that magnetic field, then the eddy currents generated in the conductive bullet mass interacting with the magnetic field will have a net effect on the bullet's trajectory.

If the wire had current running through it, that would generate an electric field, and the bullet would feel it, but it would not change its trajectory.

My bad. I assumed that Skywolf meant an electrically energized wire such as a transmission line.

so there is a difference between electrons moving because of a field, and electrons moving with respect to somewhere else,
i mean, that's kinda where my question came from, if moving electrons caused a field, then why wouldn't moving past electrons do the same thing

skywolf said:
so there is a difference between electrons moving because of a field, and electrons moving with respect to somewhere else,
i mean, that's kinda where my question came from, if moving electrons caused a field, then why wouldn't moving past electrons do the same thing
If you ignore Special Relativity for the moment, there is no difference between electrons moving past an object (whether due to a field or not, although you would have to add the effects of the field as well) and the object moving past the electrons. The problem is that's not the only thing happening in the bulet-wire scenario.

Remember that the wire (and the bullet) are electrically neutral (at least the example doesn't tell us anything different). That means that, while the bullet is moving past the electrons in the wire (and thus would experience a magnetic field in the "up" direction if I'm doing my cross-products correctly) it is also moving past the protons in the wire at the same speed (and thus would experience a magnetic field in the "down" direction of the same magnitude). These two fields cancel out so the bullet experience no net field. Put another way, what matters is the velocity relative to a net charge. If there is no current in the wire, there is no net movement of charge relative to the bullet.

Now, if you start running a current through the wire, the electrons begin moving relative to the protons. Therefore the two sets of charged particles have different relative velocities relative to the bullet. Therefore the opposing fields experienced by the bullet are no longer of equal magnitude. The fields therefore do not "cancel out" and the bullet experiences a net field (the direction and magnitude depending on the direction and magnitude of the current).

Last edited:
What if the bullet had a static charge on it?

Related to Electromagnetism: Moving Electrons & Magnetic Fields

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It is the force that governs the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons, and the interaction between electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do moving electrons create a magnetic field?

When electrons move, they create a magnetic field around them. This is because electrons have a property called spin, which is a type of angular momentum. When electrons move, their spin creates a tiny magnetic field that adds up with the magnetic fields of other electrons to create a larger magnetic field.

3. What is the role of magnetic fields in electromagnetism?

Magnetic fields are essential in electromagnetism because they interact with electric fields to produce forces on charged particles. This interaction is what allows for the movement of electrons and the creation of electric currents, which are crucial for many technologies, such as motors and generators.

4. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect the movement of electrons?

The strength of a magnetic field determines the force exerted on charged particles, such as electrons. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force on the electrons, which can impact the direction and speed of their movement. This is why strong magnetic fields are used in applications such as particle accelerators.

5. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has countless practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the generation and distribution of electricity, the functioning of motors and generators, the operation of electronic devices, and even the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation. Without electromagnetism, many modern technologies would not be possible.