Bullwhip wave mechanics: What changes?

1. Greylorn

Greylorn 48
    Gold Member

What wave property changes as a bullwhip wave propagates toward the tip? Wavelength or amplitude?

The problem seemed at first analogous to that of describing the behavior of a sound wave propagating through air of linearly decreasing density, except that sound is longitudinal.
  2. jcsd
  3. Bill_K

Bill_K 4,157
    Science Advisor

This is one of those controversial issues that seesaws between rival camps: in this case the supersonic versus the non-supersonic factions. Even skilled whip crackers disagree. The best explanation I've found so far is here: http://home.comcast.net/~a-mcnibble/Rants/WhyWhipsCrack.pdf according to which it's the concentration of kinetic energy into a smaller and smaller whip segment that does it.
  4. Greylorn

Greylorn 48
    Gold Member

5. Greylorn

Greylorn 48
    Gold Member

Great link! Although I was more interested in the mechanics of a transverse wave in a variable medium (looking for cosmological implications) than in what happens at the end of a wave's transmission, I was being short sighted. The end may be the most important part of the problem. Thank you for the insight!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?