Bungee Cord Force Constant from Work?

In summary, the bungee jumper with a mass of 61kg jumps off a bridge with a 25m long massless bungee cord. The jumper reaches the lowest point 42.9m below the bridge. To find the force constant of the bungee cord, the work for mg was calculated to be 25646J. However, since the object stops, the net work is zero, so F = -1433N. This is likely a flawed assumption as the force exerted by a spring is not constant.
CandyApples

Homework Statement

A bungee jumper jumps with a mass of 61kg jumps off of a bridge. The massless bungee cord is 25m long and beyond that length acts as a spring. The jumper reaches the lowest point 42.9m below the bridge. Find the force constant which characterizes the bungee cord.

Homework Equations

W = F X d
F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the work for mg.
Wmg = 42.9 * 61(9.8) = 25646J

Since the object stops, the object has a net work of zero. So:
-25646 = 17.9 * F
F = -1433N

-1433 = -k(17.9)
k = 80N/m.

This seems far too low, could someone please tell me where my logic is flawed? I think it might be In the assumption that balancing net work accounts for the object stopping but i am not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The force exerted by a spring is not constant, as you assumed.

ehild

I would like to point out that the calculation for the force constant of the bungee cord in this scenario may not be accurate. This is because the bungee cord does not act like a typical spring, as it also has the added effect of gravity and the changing acceleration of the jumper as they fall. Additionally, the mass of the bungee cord itself may also affect the calculations.

To accurately determine the force constant of the bungee cord, more information and measurements would be needed, such as the spring constant of the bungee cord itself and the actual distance the bungee cord stretches during the jump.

In conclusion, while the approach taken in this problem may provide a rough estimate of the force constant, it may not be entirely accurate due to the complexities of the bungee cord system. As a scientist, it is important to acknowledge the limitations and uncertainties in our calculations and to continue to seek more accurate and precise methods of measurement.

1. How is the force constant of a bungee cord calculated?

The force constant of a bungee cord can be calculated by dividing the change in the cord's length by the change in the applied force. This value represents the stiffness of the cord and is measured in units of force per length, such as N/m.

2. What factors can affect the force constant of a bungee cord?

The force constant of a bungee cord can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the cord, the temperature, and the presence of any knots or other obstructions in the cord. In addition, the force constant may change over time due to wear and tear on the cord.

3. How does the force constant affect the bungee jumping experience?

The force constant of a bungee cord directly affects the amount of force exerted on the jumper during the jump. A higher force constant means the cord will stretch less and the jumper will experience a stronger deceleration, while a lower force constant will result in a longer and softer bounce. The desired force constant depends on the preferences and safety considerations of the jumper.

4. Can the force constant of a bungee cord be altered?

Yes, the force constant of a bungee cord can be altered by changing the length, thickness, or material of the cord. However, altering the force constant can also affect the overall safety and experience of the bungee jump, so it is important to carefully consider and test any changes before implementing them.

5. How is the force constant related to the work done by the bungee cord during a jump?

The force constant and the work done by the bungee cord are directly related. As the cord stretches and exerts a force on the jumper, work is being done to slow down the jumper's descent. The amount of work done depends on the force constant and the distance the cord stretches, with a higher force constant resulting in more work being done.